Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i noticed my focus running hot, found that my fan wasn't coming on. i wired it direct to a hot lead that only came on when key was on, while doing this i left the motor off and the heat on to cool engine for fear of blowing a head gasket, went to start car and battery was dead. it was late so i called it a night. next day tried to jump start car, battery is up, (checked with meters) but when i turn key i have no dash lights, no radio, no nothing, but dome light and headlights still work so i know i have power. my security light flashes normally, any ideas? i cant afford to have it towed to dealer then get raped on a repair bills....Please if anyone can help, would b so appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't know what lead you hooked it to, but you probably blew one of the fuses.

Fans take a LOT of current, check the rating on the fuses for them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ignition problem

heres what i did, in the fuse box under the hood, on the left hand bottom side were 3 fuses, they were black with a arrow on top pointing to a straight up an down line, their solid black, not see thru like a normal fuse. i assumed they were spare fuses, and i thought the arrow pointing to a line meant that they had power coming in 1 side an nothing passing thru to other side of fuse. i pulled 1 of the fuses and inserted wire into the "hot " side of fuse slot, i tried removing wire and putting fuse back in but nothing, theirs still power coming into fuse block, (the 1 that i used) but still no dash lights, no radio.no start, cant even get it outta park, but dome light and headlights work, pat system flash's normal, so dont think thats the problem............

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You pulled a DIODE not a fuse, that's an electronic item that allows current to flow in one direction only.

Looking up which circuit you hooked into that way from the fuse/diode/relay chart in your manual might give a clue what's happened. Hooking up that way is like shorting a circuit to ground, don't know what might be damaged by the excessive current in that circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts