Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you all had any rack and pinion leaks? I just serviced my wife's 08' last evening and saw the bottom of the rack, in the area of where the steering shaft goes into it, is wet.

Fluid is not pouring out or anything, but clearly something is up. There does not appear to be any hose issues either.

Considering we bought this car new and it's just over 3 years old, this has me PO'ed!

Is this an isolated issue or is there anyone else out there with a leaking rack with fairly low mileage?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
My old ranger had a complete system failure at 2000 miles! Mine was pouring out.
but back to your car, remans are not too pricey if you do the labor yourself you could be fixed for under $200.
RockAuto lists a reman unit for $162.97 (w/$100 core)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Unfortunately at 65K you don't stand a chance getting Ford to pay for the repair. I guess you could go for a remanufactured replacement, but with that mileage I personally would be looking at a NEW factory replacement. I guess you may pay a little more but I don't think much more.

·
Registered
578 Posts
my rack didnt fail but at 60k the resevoir started to. it only leaked when it was cold out and would aerate the remaining fluid. the steering would get heavy and i would get a supercharger noise- which i didnt mind. to fix the problem all i did was add some new fluid with a stop leak additive. problem solved. i since have added another 25k to the clock.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THanks for the thoughts guys.........I guess I'm S[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*ED.

It's not to the point that it's leaving drips on the floor yet, so I removed what I could and filled with Lucas......I'll have to keep an eye on it......looks like a TOTAL PITA to change out....I think you have to drop the front sub frame!!! (or K/Cross member)!

I am mechanically inclined and have a lift in my shop, but don't know if I'm going to try that job. It's my wife's car and she has a long commute.

Thanks again,
Greg

·
Registered
252 Posts
I got my 08 used and a day before the month warranty was up it started making noises when i took sharp turns, yup the steering rack had a small leak and was fixed for free ^_^

I bought it with 64k miles on it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rack & Pinion Problem with '08

Count me in on being disappointed with Ford. My '08 developed noise when steering at about 75k. Took it to dealer and they gave me $1100 estimate to replace! Getting second opinion and appreciate the other posts on using the stop leak additive.

The killer is my wife had a Civic and now an Elantra, and I have to take her taunts for driving a Ford. :(

I really like my Focus (MS Sync has been nice), but this is really disappointing, especially after just paying it off.

Joe

·
Registered
489 Posts
My car did this too - one day I heard my power steering making noise and it was leaking from the rack or a line going into it. I brought it into the dealer (as it should have been fixed) and they checked it over, added dye to the system and tightened it up - stopped leaking, but I was quoted a big number to get it fixed. I've put over 10K on it since then and no leaks so far - I would try some stop leak in it. I've got a feeling that I'll be replacing mine sometime or another - I've nearly forgotten about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts