Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I upgraded my headlights to some Silverstars today. I changed both the headlights and the front turn signals. In the manual and from a very knowledgeable member here I was instructed to remove the grill and the ENTIRE headlight. I was able to change all of the bulbs without taking off either. The drivers side headlight bulb was easier because you can just stick your hand under there and disconnect the connector and turn counterclockwise, comes right out. When the drivers side was stuck in there pretty good all I did was get some pliers and get a hold of it good and turn, simple.The passengers side required a little more work. I had to move the coolant reservoir to get to the light bulb. I removed it (2 simple bolts holding it down) and then just turned the bulb counterclockwise and it came right out. Same deal with the turn signals, just had to get my hands on the connector, turn counterclockwise and remove. It was a 20 minute job and I just wanted to share with those that do not want to remove the WHOLE headlight, seems like a complicated way to do it. It takes some patience to get a hold of the bulbs to get them out, but it is worth it so you don't have to remove the headlight assembly. I'll post up pics later of the results. Peace. [wrenchin]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for the post. How do you like your Silverstars? Are they supposed to be HID-like?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Silverstars are great for Standard bulbs. I wouldnt call them HID Like, but they throw a lot of light, and I like em!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like them a lot better than stock. I never liked the stock bulbs on any car, too yellow for me. I actually have the Silverstar Ultras on my civic but they don't make them yet for the H13/9008 bulb size. I've always liked them and they are brighter and whiter than the stock bulbs. I'll post pics when it gets dark.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yea, theyre definitely better than stock and throw quite a bit of light for a standard halogen! want to get the ultras next time my standard silverstars burn out. You'll love em in the dark! Theyve become my favorite standard bulb.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Silver Star Ultra's are the best non HID light i have ever seen.

i replaced my stock headlights with them.... 12 days after i bought the car :)

i keep 1 spare light bulb just in case in the glove box.

ps, i wouldn't pull the whole light assembly out of the car to change the bulb, i have had to do this in my automotive technology class, and it cracked the lens trying to remove the screws holding the lens in because of rust on the screws.

-Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a night shot of the Silverstar. Way better/brighter than the standard bulb:

It is only to show how much difference it is than the ugly yellow light. I'll take other pics later, buzzed right now...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the license plate lights. They are B-1 Hybrids Polarg bulbs. I saw some LED's on here but they were too bright and blue. These are pure white and look great.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
666 Posts
i have silverstars... meh... they'll do for now.... not sure how well they'll be if i decide to keep my headlight tint... everycar i've had they only last about 6 months... 3 months without a ground wire upgrade...

one thing i love about the H13's is the lack of a need to get near the bulb.

i pulled the grille and headlights... replaced the bulbs .. both... in like 7 minutes..

if your method is faster... thats amazing !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts