Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any information on the spare tire for a 2008 focus coupe. I've spoken to several dealers and many dont have a clue of what's going on besides one. I spoke to a dealer in NC that is on point but I live in NYC. The reason I called them is b/c my mother lives close by them. I'm looking to purchase the spare wheel and tire for my girlfriend's focus. If you guys have part number's, tire size, etc it will help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You should be able to talk to the people at the parts counter, they should be able to order one for you.

It is sad that the spare tire is an option now and some dealers choose not to add the spare tire when ordering the cars from the factory.

·
Fistpumping = 5whp
2,158 Posts
They give you a fix-a-flat kit instead of the spare. Saves weight IMO a good idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Getting the Right Wheel and Configuring It

I am interested in getting a complete wheel and tire spare setup for my 2008 Coupe. The donut tire is only good for 50 miles or so, and I travel farther from home base than that.

What should I look for to identify the proper matching wheel? I think it is 15 inch (the tire will tell me that), but my Google search brings up different ones - steel, painted, etc. I want a cosmetic match...

Can anybody confirm that this make and model can not handle a full size tire? I had been led to believe by the local dealer that if I laid enough money on him, it would fit. I know that I will have to pull the compressor thingie that is in the well...

Also, is there any connection between the tire pressure sensor system and the mounted tire? I am asking this because I what to make sure that the senor still works when I mount the spare.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You bring up some interesting questions, especially to those of us who, like you, would prefer to have a full size spare.
The TPS is connected through a sensor that is part of the valve stem - they aren't cheap, and I have no info. on whether the system would "recognize" an extra sensor. I understand
"programming" is necessary when swapping wheel sets to ones using aftermarket sensors, and I've seen it mentioned with regard to new stock sensors. My focus is too old for this, but the wife's Civic has TPS and the hassle/expense of an extra set of sensors convinced her to just swap tires seasonally instead of getting extra wheels for winter.
I would simply jack the car and test the existing wheel in the spare well, as most do NOT give enough room for a full size wheel (larger width than the donut pushes up the carpet)
You could live with this, or adapt for it by raising the trunk floor level with a piece of styrofoam. That would even be useful if you use cutouts in the foam to store emergency items...
Proper matching cosmetics would be cheapest from a junkyard, E-bay, or poss. a vendor who supplies matching wheels as the dealer price (if they don't discount it) is generally VERY high - since they mark them a lot for sale as collision (insurance) items...
Hope this was a bit of help, you've got me thinking of doing this project on mine...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The TPS is connected through a sensor that is part of the valve stem - they aren't cheap, and I have no info. on whether the system would "recognize" an extra sensor.
Most Ford vehicles come with a banded sensor not a valve style. But I do understand that both will work. You can get a set of banded sensors with bands off ebay for about $150 give or take. I have been looking myself because I am soon to be upgrading my wheels and want to keep the old ones for winter tires. You can also get them individually.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My '08 has banded sensors-not valve style.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, the 08 is a band sensor. It also must be initialized at the dealer, unless you have the proper tool. We sell the sensors and the bands/cradle...as well as the tool if you need them.

I would say just buy a full sized steely and tire, match the OD (outside diameter), and it would be your spare for emergencies but you wold go back to you good wheel when repaired/replaced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 08 focus came with an air compressor instead of a spare tire. My thoughts is to use fords complimentary roadside assitance if you get a tire blow out because the dam focus doesn't even have a jack with the car either.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
While the fix a flats are fine for small punctures in the tread area they don't work well or at all for sidewall punctures or worse yet ruptures from pot holes etc. Unfortunately the latter is becoming more prevalent as a result of lower and lower profile tires and the trend to bigger wheel diameters. Hopefully the car manufacturers will wake up and return to car designs that accommodate room for spares.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 08 se didnt even come with one go figure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts