21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 2dr focus
2.0 Duratec
5-speed trans
converted to a solid mass flywheel and conventional clutch
50k miles on the vehicle

1st issue:
after replacing the flywheel, clutch, slave/throwout. 4th gear doesn't feel like it is engaging properly and will pop out of gear intermittently. and reverse is hard to get into gear. My thoughts on this are I need to readjust the shift cables anyone know the part number for the tool to center the gearshift lever.

2nd issue:
sometimes not all the time I get a whining noise from under my dash sounds like a speedometer cable going bad, now this car is electronic speedometer so no idea what that sound could be. CV going bad? transmission?

3rd issue:
just started making a lot of noise on the driver's side, kinda a growling grating noise cant feel it in the steering wheel thinking about just changing the cv shafts and see if that is the issue for a couple of problems. also, no play in the wheel with it on the ground. will be putting it up on stands tomorrow or the weekend and will check for play again.

4th issue:
sometimes get a wobble in the front end when driving, is this poor steering geometry? the car has been aligned recently with new tires as well. is this why guys are buying the stabilizers from fswerks?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well update so far have replaced passenger cv shaft (was worn bad) still had alot of vibration so now have changed passenger intermidiate shaft, and drivers complete shaft, all tierods-balljoints wheel bearings have no play.

still alot of vibration and noise.

this weekend will be replacing all motor mounts passenger, drivers upper and lower dogbone

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, update the upper passenger side mount was completely separated. replaced upper transmission mount, found out someone previous to me had changed to a 2007 style rear transmission mount so inspected and reused it. most of the vibrations are gone but 4th gear is trashed

·
Registered
983 Posts
So how did the transmission shift before all that work? A clutch replacement at 50,000 miles it was obviously abused.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4th gear wouldnt stay in unless you held it, lots of play in the dual mass flywheel, i do think that it was driven pretty hard. guy i bought it from both him and his brother have focus that are raced

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gonna drive for now until I can get a day to go the pick and pull an hour away and snatch a transmission out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts