Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife’s car ( 08 focus ses 109,000 ) has a hesitation when you hit the gas from a stop. Car looses power but then eventually picks up ( almost like it’s not getting enough gas ) I’ve changed the fuel filter. New plugs. New coils ( accel ) and tps sensor. After the coils and tps sensor it cleared up and was like a new car. But the hesitation came back. I’m at a loss on what’s wrong with it. The car has never had any major work done to it. It’s been good to her and I take care of it. I feel like it’s something stupid that I just can’t track down.
Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,346 Posts
Clean the maf sensor. Check the air filter. Change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
If you think it's fuel related, I'd start with the fuel system. Check injectors and fuel pump.

Is the check engine light on?

I'm assuming this is an automatic. Is the air conditioner on/off? Does it idle smoothly? Does this hesitation happen all the time or just some of the time?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it’s an auto. No check engine lite.
It runs and idles smoothly. It will do it with ac on or off. It’s hit and miss but the wife says it does it quite a bit and usually after driving for awhile. But it’s only when you leave from a stop. If you hit the gas normal it will just fall on its face for a second or two then pick up and be normal. She has said there’s been a time or two where she thought the car was going to stall

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You may be experiencing heat soak. The intake that you have if it's the same one I have is a short ram intake. If it's very hot outside and you are sitting at a stop the heat increases under the hood, as you step on the gas the engine sucks in a bunch of hot air.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
You may be experiencing heat soak. The intake that you have if it's the same one I have is a short ram intake. If it's very hot outside and you are sitting at a stop the heat increases under the hood, as you step on the gas the engine sucks in a bunch of hot air.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using FF Mobile
Doubt it.

I'm sure he's got a K&N drop-in filter on his wife's car, rather than the $250 K&N Short-Ram performance intake...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The wife mentioned she thought it started doing it after I put the k&n intake on it too. If I would have known about FS werks before I got this I would have gotten one of there intakes.
I bet when it's a cool morning it feels a lot better. Heat soak is a bitch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah in the mornings the car runs great. It gets good gas mileage too. I might pull the trigger on a FS werks intake for it and ditch the K&N one.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you do let us know the difference.
I've had my k&n for a good 100,000 miles. It does bog in high heat but I'm rarely in stopped traffic so no big deal.
Women are typically more sensitive to such things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That k&n intake has been on for about 3500 miles. I’ve tried to teach her stuff about cars and she’s pretty good at explaining things to me if somethings wrong but I know what you mean. I have noticed before after the cars been running for awhile that even the intake tube is to hot to even touch and even just the heat from the engine when you open the hood seems pretty hot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It could definitely be the SRI. Looks like it has no way to vent on hot days. My steeda short ram will do this too on hot days driving slow around town or in traffic. Especially with the AC on. But overall its not an issue unless temps are over 95, the steeda is one of the best intakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put the FS one on last night. Wasn’t terrible. Directions are not the greatest but I like it over the K&N. More room up top and the filter is way away from engine heat. I’ll know more tomorrow when she’s home so I can go drive it after it’s been hot ect to see how it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts