Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop manual talks about dropping it out from below. I don't have enough room since my garage lacks a lift.
I'm hoping it's possible!!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
You always remove a car's hood to pull an engine.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Speaking of which, don't forget to mark around the hinges before you loosen them. That will help you line up the hood as it was before when you put it back on. I've used Sharpie markers, and simply scratched the outline- which is more difficult to see than the Sharpie.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Really? You sure? How can you lift it out of the top-side if the car has an engine hood?
I prefer some jokes without a jk or an emoticon... and was waiting for someone to say "yep, hood is in the way, so you gotta drop the engine thru the bottom".

·
Registered
519 Posts
Some people just don't know a good joke when they see one haha

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Sorry, sense of humor must be broken. Some cars I have pulled the engine with the hood on, mid to late 90's Buick lesabres have such a long hood, I would leave it on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be funny if I wasn't the one pulling the engine. haha

So is there a definitive answer that I can pull the engine out through the top? I'm looking for conformation that's it can be done since the Ford shop manual talks about dropping it from below.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First response was a "yes, it's possible" before the joking started.

Prob. toughest way, SURE you can't lift the front of the car enough to slide the engine out from underneath it?

What transmission do you have?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I know on a ZETEC it is tight coming out from the top. I would expect the same with the duratec. It can definitely be done though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
what needs to be done to the motor?

I've pulled motors out through the bottom on many cars, if the motor needs a lot of work remove the head before dropping it out the bottom. sometimes you can tilt the motor back or forward a bit to gain room.

I've never done a motor pull on a focus yet but can you remove the front clip? then you can just come straight out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nope, can't remove front entirely as the hidden bumper is welded in place across the frame horns.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys.
The first response worried me with the "probably" on the end.
I'll be giving it a shot in the next week or so. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Waiting on the trans. type answer....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh yeah, it's an auto. The JY replacement showed up today.

I don't know how I'd be able to get enough room below to drop it out. I'm working out of a 2 stall garage. I'm open to suggestion.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Auto helps in that you don't need as much space to separate engine & trans.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts