Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the airbag from the steering wheel, replaced a 2001 Focus airbag 5 years, but this is different and need some advice on the procedure to release the old airbag and install the new airbag.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depower the SRS. For additional information, refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in the General Procedures portion of this section.
NOTE: Use a mirror to view the rear of the steering wheel to locate the 3 driver air bag module attachment pin cavities.

Insert a screwdriver into the driver air bag module attachment pin cavity.
Rotate the screwdriver to release the driver air bag module attachment pin from the spring retainer.
Repeat this step for the remaining 2 driver air bag module attachment pins.

Disconnect the horn switch electrical connector.
Disconnect the electrical connectors and remove the driver air bag module.

Installation

Connect the horn switch electrical connector.

Connect the driver air bag module electrical connectors.

Install the driver air bag module to the steering wheel.
Firmly press the driver air bag module to engage the 3 driver air bag module wire clips to the steering wheel.
Repower the SRS. For additional information, refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in the General Procedures portion of this section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed new air bag on the steering wheel, went good but the light on the dash stays lit, does the computer need to be re-set, or is there something else to do to re-power it.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
The light should be flashing a two digit code when you first start the car.

Count the flashes, short pauses, and long pauses to get the code.

I believe it repeats the two digit code 2 or three times before going to a constant on/no flash mode.

I also believe some of the sensors may be "one time use only" and need to be replaced after activation, but I am not sure about this. Reading th flash code might help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts