Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I got my car in January and technically have 19,700 miles. I figures I would do a little write-up on my experience so far. The car is a 2008 Focus Coupe S, with manual transmission, 2.2" drop, focussport exhaust and 18" wheels and tires.

OIL/ TRANSMISSION

I know the focus as well as a host of other compacts, esp. Hondas, no longer require oil changes within 3,500 miles- the Focus maintenance manual calls for 7,500 mile oil change intervals. I am just not used to this, plus I drive to and from Norfolk,VA and DC a lot and drive pretty enthusiastically, lol. So to be on the safe side I have been getting my oil changed every 3500-4000 miles. So far so good. Also, I have not been to the dealership for service since my maintenance checkup this past Tuesday. Jiffy Lube and Firestone have done all my oil changes (be sure to keep your receipts so you have documentation to show you are upholding you warranty maintenance requirements). The transmission shifts just as smooth as it did when I picked the car up brand new. Clutch pedal effort has not changed a bit.

ISSUES/ CONCERNS

As far as issues that have arisen, their are two: First, the engine would bog horribly whenever the a/c was engaged, and would sometimes hesitate even when the a/c was off- these issues were very sporadic and never happened often enough for me to feel urgent enough to run to the dealership. The second issue was that sometime a mildew/ moldy smell would come through the vents when I used the a/c (kinda like the smell you get when you leave wet laundry out too long). Both these issues were resolved after my dealer maintenance:

DEALER MAINTENANCE

This past Tuesday I brought my focus in for general maintenance (plus it's required for my warranty). Thank God customer service was good and they documented the above issues that needed to be inspected as I told them. So I got an oil change and a full whatever-point inpection. Now, at the service desk I was informed that there is a recall that involves installing little foam inserts in the defrost vents that were not installed at the factory. It may sound minor but she informed me that the techs hate doing it because it's labor intensive, and all for some little foam inserts, lol. Also, I was informed that there was an update for my ECU (forgot the specifics of the update file). When I got the car back, the technicians fully deodorized the air system and eliminated the odor, the ECU update also eliminated the engine boggin when the the a/c is engaged. Yes, there still is a slight draw on the engine when the a/c is engaged but it is the typical draw our cars can expect. I have been running the a/c a lot these past two days and the smell has not returned nor have any engine response issues.

So far so good folks!

ps- I paid like 80 bucks for the maintenance package...someone informed me that I may have been able to get it for free if I took it to my original Ford dealer. I don't remember that being included in my deal, but for future reference always check with your original Ford dealer about whether or not they will cover something BEFORE you pay another shop/ dealer to do the work- warranty related or not. My extended warranty package instructs me that I am covered, but I have to verify with my dealer first before going to any outside vendor for warranty issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
good information

Thank you I am a new focus owner with pretty much the same model as you have also in Virginia (Richmond area). I was wondering what are the kind of wheels you have on your car they look good and what other mods have you done that doesn't void the factory warrnety

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- the wheels are chrome Kazera KZ-A's...i got them from tire rack. They are quality wheels that won't break the bank. As far as other mods- I haven't touched the engine-yet, lol. I have focussport exhaust, front and rear focussport stress bars, vogtland springs. I might drop a K&N filter eventually but that's all for now...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts