Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a car with the clutch being bad. so up on stands and dropping transaxle. how do I know if this has a dual-mass flywheel or a standard flywheel? and is one better than the other if I am going to replace?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Your car came with a dual mass. You can easily see it as the flywheel will he 2 pieces, bolted or riveted together.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Most people replace the dual mass flywheel when they do a clutch. It makes sense as you don't want to pull it out again but you can roll the dice and just do a clutch disc and pressure plate along with a new slave cylinder. Make sure you only use a metal slave cylinder. The plastic ones tend to leak at the transaxle. I like to pull the subframe when I do a clutch. Good time to.service the sway bar and steering rack bushings plus it makes it easier to remove and replace the transaxle. No twisting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so something like this would be better than a stock replacement?

can't post links due to post count but fs works single mass flywheel with the clutch kit, add slave and new shorter flywheel bolts?

EXEDY OE QUALITY CLUTCH KIT - FORD FOCUS DURATEC 2.0L & 2.3L 2003-2011
SKU: FS107
by: Exedy

$45995 $76865REGULAR PRICE$768.65SALE PRICE$459.95
ON SALE

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help folks, went with the AMS complete kit through rock auto. solid flywheel. went together like a champ. all went well untill i snapped a lower ball joint retaining bolt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts