Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a copy of the 2008-11 tail light wiring diagram? I got a set of the LED tails, and I want to wire it up like one of the other members on here. Here is a picture of his car that he posted in another thread:

I want the outer rim of LEDs to remain on whenever the parking lights/headlights are on, and ONLY have the central LEDs light up when the brake is pressed/turn signal activated. As it stands, everything is lit up when the parking/headlights are on, as such:

I've tried contacting the owner of the above Focus, but with no luck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I can tell from the wiring diagram, you have 3 wires coming into the main taillight housing(excluding the backup light)
Diagram for a 2011 Focus SE I can try to post pictures if needed.
Black/White - looks to be a ground between both of the tail lights
Violet/orange - Stop/turn signal
Violet/White - Park that goes to a relay from the battery.

I'm guessing that the Violet/White is the parking light. I have never taken the stock tail lights out and looked at the connectors or seen the LED's in person, but from the picture it looks like it is only 1 connector for both sets of LED's. It looks like it goes in to 1 set, out to a box(resistor?)and back into the 2nd set. I would think that you would have to take the whole assembly apart, cut and splice the wire to bypass that cluster assuming that it is on a different circuit. You don't want to just cut it because you would loose your tail lights, and your License plate lights.

Seeing as how I have never even looked at how their hooked up, I could be wrong, so take my post with caution and I wouldn't do anything without a second opinion.

Hope this helps because I want to know how to do it too. [wrenchin]

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
^^Incredible first post!

Another option is to get a multi-meter and test which wire is hot when the running lights are on.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed on both. I might get a chance to use my multi-meter this afternoon just to verify, but if not, I'll have to wait until next weekend.

I took a look at the insides of the lamp without removing any plastic, and it looks like I may have to cut the parking/headlight wire connected to the central lights, and reconnect it just to the outer rim LEDs.

We'll see what I can find!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mine are done like that too. I cut a hole in the LED housing and disconnected the wires inside that light up the center LEDs dimly.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine are done like that too. I cut a hole in the LED housing and disconnected the wires inside that light up the center LEDs dimly.
So are there two independent wires inside the housing that control the parking/headlight dim lighting (one to the large cluster, one to the outer rim)?

Or did you have to cut the wire before the large cluster and reconnect it right before the outer rim?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come baaaaack andrewsfm!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, I'm going to cut into one of these on Saturday...hopefully it goes well. Any more guidance people can give me before hand would be awesome!

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
if you figure it out, do a write up. Im highly interested in this DIY mod on the led taillights.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you figure it out, do a write up. Im highly interested in this DIY mod on the led taillights.
You can count on it! If I can figure it out, I'll definitely be sharing via plenty of pictures and explanations.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't understand your wanting to disable the large red running light on those LEDs? With the center light disabled it would make those tail lights HARD for others to see when driving behind you. I have the same lights installed in my 08 and I did it for added SAFTY those lights offer a much brighter running light as well as braking light then stock bulbs. Disabling the large center cluster will dim those lights greatly!.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would agree with your argument if:

1: I didn't have license plate lights, which also make others aware of where my car is
2: There weren't other LEDs on the taillight
3: The brake lights were rendered disabled (the primary reason for a taillight)

Correct, they won't be as bright, but I have a feeling they'd still meet law requirements for light output. Ss an added bonus, I have to get my car inspected in a couple weeks. So assuming I'm successful with the mod, I'll be able to tell you with 100% certainty whether or not it'll pass inspection.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since I had to return this set because of some LEDs not working, this project is temporarily on hold.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
anyone have a diy on this yet? i'm probably going to purchases these soon and would like to do this mod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts