Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing down a small idle issue. Yesterday I smoke tested the air intake system. A small amount of smoke found its way out through the passenger side of the EGR valve. It looks just like it does in this Youtube video between the 3:18 thru 3:38. I plan to replace the EGR valve and its gasket in hopes it resolves my idle problem.

I have the Ford Workshop Manual for 2007 Focus'. It says the first thing to do when replacing the EGR valve is drain the coolant. A couple questions....
1. After draining the coolant through the radiator drain valve on the lower driver side of the radiator, approximately how much coolant should I expect to come out of the EGR valve upon removing the coolant hose?
2. With the engine not running, draining the coolant via the radiator drain valve only drains the coolant from the radiator and not the coolant that's inside the engine....correct?? If so, what's the point of draining the coolant from the radiator when replacing the EGR valve?
3. Is there a coolant drain valve for the coolant that's in the engine after draining the radiator?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The large hose in front of the valve is low pressure when the car is cold, you can disconnect it and lose some coolant to a pan under the car without inducing air into the system. There is already mostly air in that hose. It's in the way and needs to be moved for the job. There is a small hose attached to the valve itself that comes straight up. You can unclamp this hose and lose small amounts of coolant into your pan , but since it is pointing straight up, if you unbolt the egr valve first and unclamp the coolant hose last, you can get the valve off and out without inducing air into the system. The hose should stay stiff enough to stand up straight without the valve on it. Connect the hose first when installing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So no you do not need to drain the coolant, there is a risk when opening the lines of inducing air into the system but I have done it the way I just said with no problems

1 - 4 of 4 Posts