Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought and tried to install both the front and rear sway bar links.

I started in the rear and to my surprise my sway bar links were not there?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Some did not have rear sway bars. Mounting holes should still be there. Need brackets bushings and hardware

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a nice pair of Moog links? Should I stop by the salvage yard and grab a sway bar? and whatever it bolts up to? Is that even a bolt on option? Would I even notice a difference?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have a nice pair of Moog links? Should I stop by the salvage yard and grab a sway bar? and whatever it bolts up to? Is that even a bolt on option? Would I even notice a difference?
Rear sway bar makes a big difference. Make sure your rear subframe has the holes for a sway bar. Take a picture of your subframe so you can compare it to a salvage yard car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll second the point that the rear sway bar makes a huge difference. I removed my stock one because I was curious. The car handled funky. I have since put a Massive Speed rear bar on, and it's made a world of difference.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear sway bar makes a big difference. Make sure your rear subframe has the holes for a sway bar. Take a picture of your subframe so you can compare it to a salvage yard car.
If I posted a pic would you all be able to tell me if it does or not?

·
Registered
858 Posts
If I posted a pic would you all be able to tell me if it does or not?
How about a picture of mine to compare to yours. Go ahead and post and we can look.

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Would I even notice a difference?
You will only notice a difference if you are really a 'performance' oriented driver. I guess Im an 'ordinary' driver. My 02 wagon has the rear bar and my 05 sedan doesnt - the way I drive I dont notice any difference.

BTW I would have posted this either in the General Technical or MK1 forums. This forum is really for Duratec ENGINE issues

Paul

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Steeda make sway bar mounts but nobody like them LOL.
I'll be making some weld-on mounts in the proper position soon
Ford also makes sway bar mounts, FYI. They're the same parts from 00-11.

Go to a junkyard if you must. Find -literally- any Focus with a trim level higher than SE and pull the parts. The rear bar is so easy I could do it one handed.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Steeda make sway bar mounts but nobody like them LOL.
I'll be making some weld-on mounts in the proper position soon
Ford also makes sway bar mounts, FYI. They're the same parts from 00-11.

Go to a junkyard if you must. Find -literally- any Focus with a trim level higher than SE and pull the parts. The rear bar is so easy I could do it one handed.
He hasn't responded since I posted the picture. We are not sure if his car even has the mount points on the subframe.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Are you talking about the mounts that are welded to the subframe?
The bushing mounts are bolted to the subframe. Either you have the holes for them or you don't..

I'm pretty sure the lower control arms are all the same regardless. You'll need the bushing mounts, the bushings, the sway bar, and the end links to complete the install.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Are you talking about the mounts that are welded to the subframe?
The bushing mounts are bolted to the subframe. Either you have the holes for them or you don't..

I'm pretty sure the lower control arms are all the same regardless. You'll need the bushing mounts, the bushings, the sway bar, and the end links to complete the install.
The mounting plates are welded to the subframe. The clamps bolt to those welded plates. The only viable way to add a rear sway bar if you don't have the mounting plates is to find a focus that does and grab the subframe or buy a new subframe. Everything I read about the kits that allowed you to add a rear sway bar were not good. Replacement control arms have an additional plate welded at the end link mounting hole to solve the breakage problem that some owners were experiencing with stock and aftermarket rear sway bars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts