Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had some sputtering issues with my 2007 focus so I took apart air box and filter. Found water in air box so I cleaned maf sensor with parts cleaner and also throttle body. Put all back together with the one hose on top and maf sensor plug and throttle body plug in place too. Went to start car and it won't run. Spits and backfires. Checked for spark and have it,checked voltage at injectors and have 12v, take gas line off fuel rail and it sprays. I hear fuel pump also kick in. So I put different maf in and throttle body and fuel filter in. Still won't run. Not sure what I'm missing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Try pulling the plugs to see if they're clean?

Might have gotten fouled when trying to start it with the MAF that was cleaned with the wrong fluid.

( since you've been messing a bit, check the silly too - battery needs a good charge to try again)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I checked plugs when I checked for spark. Cleaned them and they were not wet with gas. The car acts like it's not getting gas. Does fuel shut off stop the pump from working? I know pump is working but don't know if shut off turns injectors off? Car acts like its out of time. Don't know? Drove in garage now don't start.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The water in the air box came from previous owner routing air filter in front of the front tire and not having the enclosure around it. I live in MN and we had a nice storm one day. I havent had the car that long but it ran great before this. Next I'm going to put new plugs in and charge up battery good. Do you know if these focuses are picky about plugs you buy?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For cheap plugs try Autolite AR104's, they don't last like the stock platinums but will work better for at least half their life from what the guys testing plugs have learned (duratec performance section spark plug stickie).

I threw a set in while testing for a problem that turned out to be a coil, work fine.

Stock platinums for long life plugs.

Poor reviews for most others, Bosch doesn't seem to be good in a Focus for example.

I almost didn't answer this time looking at the '03 in your sig., then remembered the thread was asking about the '07 (silly me).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys thanks for the help! The car lives again. I ended up putting new plugs in and a new battery. I tried charging other battery but it wouldn't get over 50% charged. So did these things and car started right up and runs great.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Tx for the update to close this one out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts