Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last time a bulb quit on my daughters SES I had a heck if a time. It was cold and dark and I was tired. Today I decided to install two new bulbs since these have been in there a long time.

Honda Shin-Etsu grease is your friend!!!

Remove the round rubber covers from the back of the headlamp housing. Pull on the CONNECTOR (not the WIRES) to get it off the bulb. The connector/bulb interface has a kind of ramp on it - just pull the connector off.

Reach into the recess and you'll feel a large round plastic retaining collar. Get a hold of it (try L and R hands to see what works best) and turn it in same direction as if you were loosening a nut or bolt. After about 1/3 of a turn pull it out. Remove the bulb - it may feel stiff because it is sealed to the housing with an o ring - the o ring stays on the bulb - your new bulb comes with an o ring on it..

LIGHTLY grease the o ring on the new bulb. Do not touch the glass surface and if you do - clean it with rubbing alcohol. Insert the bulb partway into the opening. Rotate the bulb until the three notches on the bulb engage 3 tabs on the housing (you can see this thru the lens). ONE of the notches and tab are smaller - they line up. On our car this happened with the flat part of the connector on the bulb facing generally up. You have to push the bulb in to seat the o ring.

Grease the cam ramps on the retainer. The side of the retainer with the cam ramps goes TOWARD the housing. Set the retainer in place and turn in a tightening direction until you feel it click locked.

Reconnect the connector.

LIGHTLY grease the big rubber cover (the inner lips) and reinstall - this may be the hardest part. Get it to seat evenly against the housing.

This time it took about 4 minutes a side. Not the hardest bulbs to do but definitely not the easiest!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good directions, edited title to help searches for this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts