Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I keep having this issue where my side mirrors keep falling off and I keep having to replace them. This is becoming a pain as the bolt usually holding it in place will fall into the door leading my to have to have to fish it out. Has anyone had this issue? Any recommendations? I've replaced them about 3 times now in the last 10 years or so, have used locktite, gorilla glue and of course tape to hold them in place but they all eventually give. I promise my car isn't all banged up and crashed, it's just the mirrors lol

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ive never had a mirror on one of my Focuses just 'fall off'. Ever. Sorry you are having issues. The mirror is held to the door frame with two screws - one large near the center, and one small futher forward. They both go into the plastic portion of the housing so Loctite may not be very effective. But Ive never had one of thse screws just loosen up. Are you using the correct factory screws that are made to self thread into the plastic?

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive never had a mirror on one of my Focuses just 'fall off'. Ever. Sorry you are having issues. The mirror is held to the door frame with two screws - one large near the center, and one small futher forward. They both go into the plastic portion of the housing so Loctite may not be very effective. But Ive never had one of thse screws just loosen up. Are you using the correct factory screws that are made to self thread into the plastic?

Paul
Unfortunately I'm only using the size 14 bolt that's in the middle of the mirror. The mirror's don't come with hardware so have to use whatever came with the car which was bought used. Can I get the screws at a local hardware store? What size would I get?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The bolts that Ford uses are specifically configured to cut threads in plastic. New mirror housings have pilot holes molded into then but when you install the screw it cuts a thread. Similar to wood screws or sheet metal screws but optomized for plastic. The molded hole in the housing is optomized for the size of the screw thread as well. I would go to a junkyard and get the factory screws - probably wont cost you anything but your time. The large bolt is 10mm hex, the small is T-20 Torx.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
16,029 Posts
He's right about the screw configuration of plastic cutting screws that Ford uses all over the cars. Sheetmetal screws from hardware store will work but ONLY if you redrill the hole to match the plastic screw thread OD and it MUST clear the thread ID by a good amount or the regular sheet metal screw then breaks the plastic bosses because the screw body under the thread is too big to put too much explosive force on the smaller plastic hole.

I've used sheet metal screws all over the cars in various places but you absolutely must do that hole resize thing, it's breakage in a week or a month if you don't.

I measure using calipers the new sheetmetal screw thread high and low and pick a drill bit that falls close to the halfway point between them. The drill bit size MUST be at least bigger than the base of the thread diameter, or you have more interference, sheetmetal screws have relatively shorter height threads than the specialty plastic cutting ones do and the latter are only available at the dealers at whopping cost. Or scrapyards.

If somebody is using simple normal type threaded bolts then why you are breaking the bosses off, they put way too much stress on the holes and eventually split them open into pieces. Your mirror then falls off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts