Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in BC Canada pretty well right on the US border, and have an 07 Focus Wagon, the local Ford dealer tells me I need to have oil changes every 5000 km. However according to this document from the Ford:

http://www.fordf150.net/2007/2007-ford-trucks-scheduled-maintenance-guide.pdf

Its an American document and lists regular oil changes should be done every 5000 miles which would translate to roughly 8000km.

My question basically is who is right the my local Ford dealer or the Ford Maintenance Schedule linked above?

I haven't been able to find a Canada specific Maintenance Schedule,personally I think the 5000 miles sounds more reasonable then every 5000 km why would a Focus in Canada need servicing more often then one 10km away from here in the US

I really don't want to void my warranty, does anyone in fact know the true answer to when my 2007 Focus should have its oil changed to remain compliant with the warranty?

·
Registered
401 Posts
My '07 is every 5000 miles, and I can't imagine my focus is any different than yours. My engine oil is still fairly clean at 5000 miles so I have no issues doing that.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
My question basically is who is right the my local Ford dealer or the Ford Maintenance Schedule linked above?
The Ford Maintenance Schedule.
Your dealer may recommend a more frequent service interval since he stands to benefit from it if you're taking the car to him for oil changes.
Providing you're not experiencing some ridiculously adverse driving conditions (towing, high temps, lots of very short trips, etc. in which case, more frequent changes may be beneficial), the manufacturer's recommended interval is what I would use and that's what is used to keep your warranty in effect.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
most dealers have techs that have been around for a long time and/or the new techs are being taught by the old techs.

Ford used to tell us every 3,000 miles. so most guys are used to saying 3,000 miles. even when i worked for VW and VW said do it every 10,000 miles, we were every 5,000.

i think now Ford has a few different scenarios.

severe driving habits are every 3,000 miles,

average driving habits are every 5,000 miles

moderate are every 7500

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Same old, same old.....

People making money off oil changes try to convince EVERYONE that they are in the SEVERE USE category, so they can sell more oil changes....

BC has it right - go by the manual, and whatever warranty you've still got after 4 yrs. is still good....

BTW - in the U.S., any warranty claim denied over a "maintenance" issue - the dealer needs to prove that the maintenance was the CAUSE of the issue...

In other words, if it breaks 'cause there's NO oil, it's your fault - otherwise it's probably covered...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Well it really depends how long you are going to keep that car. The last Focus wagon was in 07
Lets say you need that car for business... there is NOTHING else that carries a big load such as that wagon and YET gets such good gas mileage

Change oil every 3,000 miles

Going to dump that car at a 100,000 miles because you got the wagon as a fluke [good deal on lot] then 5,000 miles

I has a 04 Wagon and my plan was to keep it forever, till I retire, need engine, put in a short block, tranny goes out, overhaul it and keep that thing for 500,000 miles or more!. Here in Texas there is no corrosion, so the body will last forever

Drunk totaled my beloved wagon at 183,000 miles [sideswiped while parked]

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Well it really depends how long you are going to keep that car. The last Focus wagon was in 07
Lets say you need that car for business... there is NOTHING else that carries a big load such as that wagon and YET gets such good gas mileage

Change oil every 3,000 miles

Going to dump that car at a 100,000 miles because you got the wagon as a fluke [good deal on lot] then 5,000 miles

I has a 04 Wagon and my plan was to keep it forever, till I retire, need engine, put in a short block, tranny goes out, overhaul it and keep that thing for 500,000 miles or more!. Here in Texas there is no corrosion, so the body will last forever

Drunk totaled my beloved wagon at 183,000 miles [sideswiped while parked]

i agree

·
Registered
63 Posts
i work at a ford dealership in mississauga, and we recommend '07 and under to be 3 months, 5000 kms, and '08 and up is 6 months and 8000 kms.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i think its more with what oil you use.
normal use
dino = 5000km
semi-syn = 8000km
syn = 10000km
"sever" use
dino = 3000km
semi-syn = 5000km
syn = 7000km

and use a good filter, ford, wix (Napa gold),purelator .. ect. not fram

personally since my car sees high rpm alot and get taken to the track alot i do full syn every 5000 km and change my trans fluid every 2 or 3 oil changes

·
Registered
401 Posts
My manual says 5000 miles so that is what I do. Mine is a ZX3 however. Unless you use some really cheap oil 5000 is just fine in my opinion, any more and your just wasting time and money on oil changes. Unless you are a delivery driver or something like that.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
The dealer may be recommending services based on driving habits, location, or just to prevent issues that they have seen frequently. Generally, you are fine in following the Maintenance Guide. I was unable to find a link to one for Canada, as I am with Ford US. If you contact Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre at 1.800.565.3673, they may be able to provide it to you.

~Natasha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts