Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a bazillion projects in various stages going on. So i thought I needed another. not much of a how to as I'm doing it as my budget allows.

So far I only have the projectors and some shrouds. but At least I can get somethings done. Grabbed a spare headlight from the junkyard and baked it open today.

The mini D2S 3.0 projectors I picked up from The Retrofit Source. Haven't decided on ballasts and bulbs yet. If they have a decent sale I'll go there if not maybe DDM. either way 35w and either 4300k or 5000k range.

·
Registered
414 Posts
How does the projector mount to the housing? Is there just a jamb nut that sandwiches the stock reflector between itself and a flange on the projector?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does the projector mount to the housing? Is there just a jamb nut that sandwiches the stock reflector between itself and a flange on the projector?
Pretty much. With the D2S I had to open up the hole by a few MM with my dremel. With thier Mini H1 projector it might just slide in a stock untouched housing. [dunno]

www.theretrofitsource.com/components/projectors.html

as far as the baking process. It varies really. 250-300 degrees. I couldn't find anything for mk1.5 focus headlights. So I just heated and pry heat and pry untill i was able to pop it open.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More parts came in the mail today. 5k bulbs and different shrouds (these I won't have to mod at all to fit the focus bucket.

TRS also had some ballasts and relay setup on sale last night so i ordered them up too. I haven't added up my total so far but I know I'll be under $200 for a quality projector setup. [headbang]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well due to a few set backs (major one being I had my head up my ass when I ordered my projectors and clicked the RHD instead of the LHD box DOH!)

but TRS was nice enough to do an exchange, picked some 35w ballasts from them too.

Also got a few euro goodies in the mail today too.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
This should be moved to mk2 focus... the headlight assemblies are very different from the mk1 and may confuse other readers.
His info says he has a '07, so that'd make it a mk1.5. closer to a mk1 then a mk2.

·
Registered
354 Posts
SO did you ever get these done?

I keep looking back at this and wondering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know if he ever did but I'm about to do this myself with stick reflectors, mini d2s and Apollo shrouds. Looks like it will all fit nicely

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's been a bit of a back burner project. Other things have just taken up my time. I've made a little progress but everything is still sitting on the workbench.

I did get my Fusion fog light retro finished. So i have at least some color being thrown down on the road. [cool]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you use an oem headlight and just paint the inside black or did you go with aftermarket? how is the cutoff?
A bit of mix on the headlight. Lenses and bezel were from aftermarket headlights. But i used the bucket and housing from OEM lamps. (long story why I went this route)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I like the how the turned out.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
I always enjoy seeing people do these retro fittings! Now finish and install them!

·
Registered
31 Posts
wish there was more pics of these lights cuz i am interested in doing a D2S retro just not sure what shrouds to do ATM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts