Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. New here. I know some stuff about cars but it will be obvious quickly that I don't know a lot. So here I go. (I have to say this is my son's GF car.)

The serpentine belt broke because the AC pulley stuck. The mechanic replaced the whole thing (not just the pulley) He then said that the car was low on Freon and added what was needed.

I asked the kids (25 YO so not really kids) how the air worked and they said it doesn't just blows warm air. They said the mechanic said "something" about being able to fix that fairly easily that they was a vent closed. (I know this is frustrating I am just repeating what the kids told me he said.)

I checked the low side line and it is cold. I can hear the compressor cycling on and off every 5 seconds. (I can hear a clicking at least.)

So with the low side line cold but the vent blowing warm what does that mean if anything? When I change the knob from front vents to floor vents to defrost they all work. Is there an internal vent that he might be talking about? Also the fan speed switch works perfect. Also the green light comes on when I hit "air". I've searched and searched but can't find an answer. Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
X2 - "blend door" controls heat/cold by mixing warm/cold air - heater is always warm & A/C is cold when turned on, the mix of air determines what temp air comes into the cabin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More information:

I checked out the blend door and it seems to be working. I took the front off the the counsel and disconnected the hot or cold selector from the knob. I then followed it back to the actuator (?) that open and closes the mixer flap. I took the actuator off and with a pair of pliers twisted the stem that the actuator fit over. I could clearly hear the door moving. When I let go of it I could hear it slamming shut. I also had the air running when I did this and could feel a little difference. So unless I'm doing something wrong it doesn't appear to be the mixing flap.

I would like to add two things. One after I put everything back together I sat in the driveway with the air on. It got a little cooler. When I switched the knob to red (hot) the air got hot. So I switched it back to blue and it got cooler. I then drove down the street. As soon as I started driving the air got warmer. Not as hot as when I had the selector on heat but def warmer. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

Lastly As I pulled back into the drive I notice a big puddle of water (yes sure it was water) I assume condensation from the compressor. Again not sure if that means anything.

If you guys can think of anything else to try I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Puddle of water means the evap. in the HVAC case is cold enough to get plenty of water condensing out of the warm air moving through it. Sounds like a warm, humid day for your testing.

Thermometer stuck in the dash vent & driving it a bit while watching that helps tell how well it's working (air setting on cold & dash vent). Takes a bit for things to start cooling down, and recirc will give colder temps after time as the car cools off - run 1 or 2 for fan position to see the coldest air. Blowing a lot of hot, humid outside air through on high fan won't show low temps.

There's evidence it's cooling, how well takes more checking to determine. Before getting A/C pressures checked you can see how much of an issue you have cheaper.

I leave a small mechanic's thermometer in there all the time, helps determine the best setting for conditions & checks the system constantly. Just a small display version of a stick in kitchen thermometer you might have handy for this check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts