Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got down to the seal. Not relishing putting the transmission back in, but will cross that bridge later.
For now, I'm trying to figure out what's going on down there. There was no oil leaking from around the crank (the circular wiping seal wasn't leaking).This seal is molded into a D-shaped piece of metal (seal carrier?) that's mounted with screws; flat part of the D is pointing down. It's leaking along the flat part of that D.

Am I missing something? Do any of you have other experiences that the leak was actually not the seal carrier gasket, but another gasket in that general area?

It looks like there's a gasket material molded into the new seal carrier. Will it hurt anything to put a bit of RTV sealant on it as well? Not used to working on Aluminum blocks with these molded rubber gaskets.
Thanks for your help.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
No, shouldn't hurt to use a small amount of RTV on that static seal location. I like the black version, the original Blue isn't worth the effort of tossing to the trash can. Black sticks well to clean surfaces.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The seal has a plastic sleeve inserted in it. Is that supposed to be used as an installation tool? Should it slide over the end of the crank?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Yeah, installation tool so you aren't cutting the seal lip on the corner of the crank.

May not fit over the end, if so get it square to the crank so the lip can slide from it to the outside of the crank surface.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all in and good. The insert fit over the crank end, so it worked out really slick.
I decided I'd better get the flywheel surfaced just to be on the safe side, so I guess I'm done til Monday pm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts