Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I could really use your help and/or advice. About two months ago, I was driving my 2007 Focus ST and all of a sudden, I lost my aftermarket stereo and headlights. My low lights/running lights still work, however they are a separate bulb. I've charged the battery to 100% and that regained my stereo, but from time to to time the instrument panel blanks out ex: no RPMs, mileage, speedo, etc...but my main issue is the fact that I have no headlights so I am not able to drive at night. Here's what I checked so far:
1. Fuses...all of them
2. Relays
3. Light bulbs
4. Battery
I think it may have something to do with the alternator because of the funky instrument panel loss, but the running issue in NO HEADLIGHTS OR FOGS
I'm not well versed at alternators so I don't know if I can rule that out.
Any advice would be massively helpful. I'm new to this forum btw
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Check your grounds. Earlier Foci were known for weird gauge issues if the smaller ground off the battery was corroded/frayed/melted. Remove the bolt attaching it to the body, clean everything up, make sure it's solid, reattach and coat with grease.

Also, check the rear wiring umbilical through the hatch or trunk. Another known wiring-issue place that cause all kinds of gremlins. Insulation cracks need a piece of electrical tape over them...breaks require a solder-heat-shrink fix with a fresh chunk of wire.

Not sure if they fixed either of these issues by 2007, but they're easy enough to check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your grounds. Earlier Foci were known for weird gauge issues if the smaller ground off the battery was corroded/frayed/melted. Remove the bolt attaching it to the body, clean everything up, make sure it's solid, reattach and coat with grease.

Also, check the rear wiring umbilical through the hatch or trunk. Another known wiring-issue place that cause all kinds of gremlins. Insulation cracks need a piece of electrical tape over them...breaks require a solder-heat-shrink fix with a fresh chunk of wire.

Not sure if they fixed either of these issues by 2007, but they're easy enough to check.
Hey Leora,
Thanks for getting back to me on that issue. Now I don't know if you read, but my OEM fog lights do not work either, nor do the aftermarket in-grill fogs. Is there a way to narrow it down in checking anything concerning simply the lighting components?
Also, could it be an alternator issue? I ask because randomly when I am driving, I would lose my dash components i.e. no RPMs, speedometer, mileage etc...and the dome light clicks of and on.
Thanks again and any extra advice would be great. I haven't gotten around to checking the small ground yet, but I will this weekend.
-Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts