Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2007 Focus SES manual that won't start. I got the battery checked and they said it was fine.

The issue is I go to start the car and it may crank over once and then nothing. I even hooked it up to my truck to try and start it but nothing.

What could this possibly be? I have read it may be the clutch safety switch. Ive tried pumping the clutch before attempting to start the vehicle with no luck.

Thank you

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sal,
Just to be clear - the issue you are having is that the engine will not crank (or will only crank intermittently), correct? When it cranks does it start/run?

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It acts as if it wants to crank. I guess the best way to describe it, is once I turn the key forward it does like a slow crank over once and then nothing. I can't get it started at all right now.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It acts as if it wants to crank. I guess the best way to describe it, is once I turn the key forward it does like a slow crank over once and then nothing. I can't get it started at all right now.
OK that is good info. After you try to crank the engine (slow crank) do the headlights work brightly?

The fact that it sometimes cranks but slowly rules out the ignition switch, start inhibit (clutch) switch, and the starter relay. The symptoms you describe would indicate that you either have a weak battery, bad connection(s) between the battery and starter (battery/starter cables), or the starter itself is bad.

I have attached the diagram below.
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I switched out the starter as it was shot, brand new starter is in but still doing the same thing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found out that the AC compressor is locked up. Is there a bypass pulley I can buy or remove the compressor and use a smaller belt?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Also is there any tricks to getting the AC line off the top of the ac compressor?
The manifold hose is held to the compressor with a single bolt which can be difficult to get to with the compressor installed on the engine. If your compressor is locked up it has to come out so you might as well undo the 4 bolts that hold it to the engine block/bracket and then access the manifold hose bolt. You should have the system evacuated to recover the refrigerant before you disconnect any hoses.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts