Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When trying to to start the relay clicks but she wont turn over. The anti theft is working properly, I tried with a jumper, fuses are good, I'm getting power to everything.
I got it from my brother, he said he ran it low on oil. I got it for next to nothing just for the new winter tires on rims. Thought I'd try to get it started.
There was still a bit of oil on the dip stick so he didn't run it totally dry.

I popped the plugs poured in some oil and stp oil treatment let her set for a few hours. And to my surprised the crank turned quite easily with a small wrench. I'm going to let the oil set a few days to let it penetrate good before changing it out. Also going to change the plugs while I got them out. It looked pretty clean inside the plug holes.

I'm thinking it's the starter?

He said it didn't stop running while driving, he parked it.
Any info helps thanks.

·
Registered
944 Posts
When trying to to start the relay clicks but she wont turn over. The anti theft is working properly, I tried with a jumper, fuses are good, I'm getting power to everything.
Can you be more specific about the jumper statement - what exactly did you do?

Paul

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
The usual set of 'value' jumper cables will no longer jump a car off due to the Chinese making them so crappy they will not carry enough current to jump the starter properly.

If you use TWO sets with two cable ends on each terminal then it will turn over. Every parts guy pretty much knows that and why they push you hard to buy the better set. Most of the time they are trying to just get you to spend more money but NOT in that case.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
That battery eliminator pack was easily likely faulty too, they often die quick and we quit using them at the parts store as we never got money worth out of them. I consider them highly unreliable, they often go bad in 6 months.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Could be the starter. Old Foci don't like sitting, so if it was parked for awhile the starter might have decided to just sit where it is and not turn over anymore.

Doesn't say where you live, but if it's in the Rust Belt, the wiring harness to the starter could be corroded. Mine was not quite rusted through, so it would usually start after one or two tries, until the day it just wouldn't anymore. I should have replaced the whole harness, but I was being cheap and crimped in a new lug instead.

It's not a terrible job at all, but take out the fan assembly so you have some room to work. It's only two wiring harnesses to unplug then lift it up off the clips.

Also, smack your brother for knowing it was low on oil and not doing something about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts