Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2007 Focus is wearing high quality Michelin Defender tires and making them noisy at 30K even with 5K rotations.

The left side tire is the noisiest. Camber on left rear is -1.7 degree and toe is 0.12 degree. Rt side camber is -1.0 degree and toe is 0.20. I can actually see the negative camber on the left side. I had the car checked by two alignment guys that I trust.

I know that the -1.7 is "in spec" (max is -1.8) but it seems intuitively excessive. I have ordered Moog cam bolts. Is a target of -1.0 degrees a good idea? Thanks.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I'd be more consered about the toe. Set the rear toe at .010 per side & let the camber fall where it does. As far as tire noise, opening up the windows you'll more then likey here the drivers side more & different tread styles & compound make up will alter the tire noise as will the road your driving on. The focus rear suspension is designed to run w/ some negative camber. Yea, you could target a 1 degree negative w/ bolts. I'd be adjusting the rear toe & then set the front at zero toe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our 2007 Focus is wearing high quality Michelin Defender tires and making them noisy at 30K even with 5K rotations.

The left side tire is the noisiest. Camber on left rear is -1.7 degree and toe is 0.12 degree. Rt side camber is -1.0 degree and toe is 0.20. I can actually see the negative camber on the left side. I had the car checked by two alignment guys that I trust.

I know that the -1.7 is "in spec" (max is -1.8) but it seems intuitively excessive. I have ordered Moog cam bolts. Is a target of -1.0 degrees a good idea? Thanks.
Agreed, you have excessive toe on one side!!!, don't worry too much about the camber, its the excessive toe that is causing your tires to feather and cup, the cupping is whats giving you the rumble on the road. I know i was just there with the same exact problem of my own!! but in my case the toe was not the issue, it was an incorrect thrust angle simulating an incorrect toe.

Have your rear and front toe set to what felixthecat said. Also have the thrust angle checked. Unfortunately the tire noise will remain as they are damaged but you can have the tires flipped around on the rim so the cupping that is now present on the inside shoulder will be on the outside shoulder and this will reduce the noise you hear on the front end tires but not get rid of it all, this worked for me. The only thing that will remedy the noise is to have your tires replaced once you have your alignment issue resolved.

If your still having issues with camber you can either get the adjusting bolt or the adjustable upper control arms, i personally put the adjustable control arms on mine and set them to the stock arm setting as an option to adjust for the place that performed the alignment on my focus but it was not needed ultimately in the end.

Don't hesitate on the alignment!!! your tires are continuing to get damaged even further with each use!!!!!! you will know if the alignment is correct as the tires on the rear will quiet down a little bit afterwards!!!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Getting both rear toe adjustments to .10 would be a huge improvement if the rear is "frozen" enough to make getting it all the way to Felix's suggestion difficult/costly.

I had the same RR issue with mine and just getting that to equal the left (at .10) took care of the feathering issue for me.

Wouldn't argue with Felix on what he considers optimal, I had to deal with what I could do with adjuster that took a bit (repeat attempts) to free up & get reasonable alignment achieved.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow this thread is timely. We have 3 - 2007 Focuses (Foci?) 1 of them has this same issue. In addition to the problems rkjjeep has, ours also feels very unstable on patchy ice roads and rough bumpy roads. The back end seems to snap or wiggle from side to side. On hard pack snow roads last year the back end would sway from side to side like a pendulum at 35 or more mph. Would this be related to the alignment? I did a search, and all previous discussions suggest worn bushings. But this Focus has the fewest miles of our fleet.

Thank you
Bob

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I've noticed the same reaction from certain cars with a fair amount of "toe" in the rear.

Rutted snow/ice is where that "loose" feeling happens, and it seems that one side will gain traction & track straight down the road/rut kicking the rear sideways slightly - then the other side might gain better traction & be the one rolling straight.

With a car that did this, it was an instant indication of poor traction that I might not have even guessed at without the reaction. Best example was cruising along just fine on the interstate (little traffic) in powdery snow with decent traction - then a sudden start of the "wiggle". Turned out a Salt truck had entered in front of me & there was now snow melt UNDER the powdery snow.

So, IMHO too much toe in at the rear can give this result even when there isn't a loose suspension problem at the rear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I appreciate your help. I'm also passing this along to a friend of mine with a 2003 Focus that has the same issue. Maybe your suggestions for alignment could be a sticky on this forum for future reference if they're not already. My tire shop also told me our car was within spec.
The experience can be a bit of a "white knuckler". Thanks again

Bob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our car seems to behave OK on the road........it just creates noisy tires. I may have left these on the back for about 10K........partly my fault and they're tolerable. I'm going the camber bolt route and shooting for (rear) around 1.3 deg neg each side and close to zero toe

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our car seems to behave OK on the road........it just creates noisy tires. I may have left these on the back for about 10K........partly my fault and they're tolerable. I'm going the camber bolt route and shooting for (rear) around 1.3 deg neg each side and close to zero toe
The only wear you should have on the rear tires left on for 10k is a front to back sawtooth or feathered wear pattern on the tread blocks caused by the braking force exerted on the tires. If they are non directional swapping sides or a diagonal rotation front to back should eventually even that wear out.

My focus behaved on the road for the most part but when on ice did the rear shimmy, it couldn't decide which tire to follow, it was ever so slight but enough for me to detect. When winter comes once again I'm interested to find out if it still does it or not?

If you read my reply to you in the tire section of this forum you will will understand the urgency in getting the alignment for sake of the remaining life of your tires!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
To make rear toe adjustments a lot easier, add a pr of rear toe-links. CFM has them & Steeda, I see now has poly bushed ones. They also make the rear end feel more resposive.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I agree with everyone here that the toe is what's causing the tire to kind of skip along on the road and lead to the loud wear. You can probably fix the wear issues by getting that toe closer to zero.

In my case, I also had this problem on both rear tires and my rear toe-in values were 0.07" and 0.13" which didn't scream horrible to me.

I jacked up my car and wasn't able to shake the tire at all, but by spinning the hubs (all brake hardware removed) I was able to hear clicking and felt some grittiness in the bearing. I didn't think the toe-in the rear would cause the tire issue by itself, though anything is possible.

I replaced the bearing by myself just in case as I had just purchased a new set of summer tires that I didn't want to ruin. I should mention it was under warranty, but I had to do it out of pocket because the dealership refused to admit that it was bad because it wasn't loose. I also had grooving on my rear pads - which I could only assume was also due to the loose bearing.

Thread

1 - 11 of 11 Posts