Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I’m having issues with my auto 2007 ses hatchback. I have taken it to my mechanic and he said be couldn't find a code so take it to a Ford dealer then I took it to the Ford service dept and they said they couldnt find anything either so now Im here. The problem that Im having is that when I start my engine sometimes my climate controls, power windows go dead and I cant move the gear out of Park. The car is running but everything seems to lock up. Sometimes I have to shut it off and restart it several times before everything goes back to normal. This has only been happening over the past 2 months and it was usually once or twice out of the week but now its happening more often. Clearly something is wrong and I dont know what to do because all these mechanics are saying they dont know. Anyone have any idea what is going on here??? I have 102,000 miles on the car if that helps. Thanks

·
So mote be it
8,889 Posts
I like to rule out the easy to check things first. The battery/alternator/grounding issues can cause some strange electrical problems. Did any of the places you took the car too test the battery or alternator? Most part shops can test that for free, at least rule out that. Then check the various grounds in the engine bay, clean them up/sand things if they look rusted over. Makes sure those grounds are tight and same for your battery, make sure the terminal connections arent overly loose.

Also in the hatchback, cracked wires have been known to mess with electrical things. Especially where the wires come through the hatch to the rest of the car. Though its usually related to like rear wiper/tailights, it could mess with other electrical things shorting. Looking at the rear hatch and pulling back the rubber should let you inspect for messed up wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to rule out the easy to check things first. The battery/alternator/grounding issues can cause some strange electrical problems. Did any of the places you took the car too test the battery or alternator? Most part shops can test that for free, at least rule out that. Then check the various grounds in the engine bay, clean them up/sand things if they look rusted over. Makes sure those grounds are tight and same for your battery, make sure the terminal connections arent overly loose.

Also in the hatchback, cracked wires have been known to mess with electrical things. Especially where the wires come through the hatch to the rest of the car. Though its usually related to like rear wiper/tailights, it could mess with other electrical things shorting. Looking at the rear hatch and pulling back the rubber should let you inspect for messed up wires.
Im not sure if they checked the battery and alternator but Im assuming they did. Both my mechanic and the dealership ran diagnostics on the car and keep saying they cant find anything and of course the problem isnt happening with them

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,378 Posts
...Sometimes I have to shut it off and restart it several times before everything goes back to normal.
It might be a relay going bad. Try tapping on the relays with a screwdriver handle in both junction boxes while the car is running and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be a relay going bad. Try tapping on the relays with a screwdriver handle in both junction boxes while the car is running and see if it makes a difference.
I’ll keep that in mind. What about the solenoid? Im really hoping its something simple and not going to cost me 100s of bucks to fix or some trans issue. I dont understand how even the dealer has no idea. Its making me nervous now

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,378 Posts
I would say no to both of those items. It is an intermittent electrical issue based upon your description.

Your dealer (or anyone else for that matter) may not know what it is unless they can replicate the problem. Intermittent issues can be a real PITA.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know that you have to press the brake to shift the car out of park, so that's not working. There is a switch attached to the brake pedal that actuates when the pedal is pressed, power in and power out to the computer.

Power windows are on the car's internal cabin power system, that comes off a relay in the main relay box and extends to the fuse panel under the dash. The climate blower motor comes off that circuit as well.

If the relay was bad, most electronics inside the cabin would fail, so I would guess that someone added electronics and used bad wiring practices under the drivers side dashboard and you have a intermittent short somewhere or a non stock device installed.

The Focus is quite impressive, and I've seen LED light bulbs cancel out functions from the computer such as putting LED's in the rear 3rd tail light and the cruise control fails the tail light check and won't engage. Even the cabin lighting system does voltage checks for dimming when you turn the car off.

All you can do really is buy the car manual with a wiring diagram, and a volt meter and start with the windows first, the brake pedal switch and the climate controls. Look for piggy back connectors that tore the copper strands of wire under the steering wheel, or black electrical tape which is a bad sign.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that you have to press the brake to shift the car out of park, so that's not working. There is a switch attached to the brake pedal that actuates when the pedal is pressed, power in and power out to the computer.

Power windows are on the car's internal cabin power system, that comes off a relay in the main relay box and extends to the fuse panel under the dash. The climate blower motor comes off that circuit as well.

If the relay was bad, most electronics inside the cabin would fail, so I would guess that someone added electronics and used bad wiring practices under the drivers side dashboard and you have a intermittent short somewhere or a non stock device installed.

The Focus is quite impressive, and I've seen LED light bulbs cancel out functions from the computer such as putting LED's in the rear 3rd tail light and the cruise control fails the tail light check and won't engage. Even the cabin lighting system does voltage checks for dimming when you turn the car off.

All you can do really is buy the car manual with a wiring diagram, and a volt meter and start with the windows first, the brake pedal switch and the climate controls. Look for piggy back connectors that tore the copper strands of wire under the steering wheel, or black electrical tape which is a bad sign.
I did get a portable xm radio installed a few months ago. They ran the wires through the dash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts