Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
you may be in luck. one of the stepper coils is open-circuit, so i may end-up opening it for a laugh. there is a good video explaining why stepper motors have multiple coils, and how they work here:
the schemtic link may need you to be signed-in to their site. it only works for me when i am signed-in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 ZX3 2.0, I had the same issue, P0403 CEL, on the EGR Valve stepper motor six wire connector. My fix was to take apart the EGR connector, push the female spade pins out, and check the wires. I had two that were broken. Soldered for now, and used a needle and an ohm meter to check the other four. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT off and stayed off after a quick drive around... previously the pending code on my scan tool would set within minutes.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
X2, you may find an easy fix there if the device is not disassembled enough to render it as junk. How I fixed the resistor bridge device I spoke of earlier, as well as a duty cycle EGR vacuum motor too. Free except for the solder, even did it to $200 alternators too and they ran for years after.

I know how stepper motors work, it just seems to be too expensive a method to use there. But then I did give a rational (??, at least it is to them) reason why they do it now. They don't care about cost any more as the reliability being less is what they are looking for to sell more parts. Ford has really turned the engineers inside out to do what they want now, what commonly went at $30 a pop before now goes for $200 and how they pay for all those glass dealerships now.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts