Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i have a focus 1.8 (2007) with a duratec engine. a P0403 fault is being generated which is as i understand it an egr circuit fault, an open/short on the egr/wiring/pcm. does anyone know what the 6 connections on the egr/wiring loom relate to? 3 coil stepper motor? pinouts or wiring drawing would be immensely helpful. thx.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It has been my experience that most faults are at the connector to the egr itself. Remove and clean first. Clean your ground at the firewall and at the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi. i have a focus 1.8 (2007) with a duratec engine. a P0403 fault is being generated which is as i understand it an egr circuit fault, an open/short on the egr/wiring/pcm. does anyone know what the 6 connections on the egr/wiring loom relate to? 3 coil stepper motor? pinouts or wiring drawing would be immensely helpful. thx. Visit Autoguysland to know why check engine light on but no codes in case you need.
Check the connection for a corrosion buildup that could cause an open circuit to the ECM that could set this code. You can replace a corroded connector to the EGR vacuum control solenoid or repair the wiring shorted to the EGR vacuum control solenoid if necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has been my experience that most faults are at the connector to the egr itself. Remove and clean first. Clean your ground at the firewall and at the engine.
thanks for the fast reply. I have cleaned the grounds but still have same problem. does the egr valve use the engines ground? i could still really use the pinouts of the 6-way connector to help me diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked the egr connections for corrosion (there are 6 connections as it is a stepper motor type, not vacuum type) and they are good. 2 of the pins have 12V when they key is on, and 1 has ground. i really could use the pinouts to determine if the readings are good.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i checked the egr connections for corrosion (there are 6 connections as it is a stepper motor type, not vacuum type) and they are good. 2 of the pins have 12V when they key is on, and 1 has ground. i really could use the pinouts to determine if the readings are good.
Autozone has free wiring diagrams online. You have to register but it may be there. Looking at videos, the culprit is usually a broken wire in the 2 wire plug to the solenoid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Autozone has free wiring diagrams online. You have to register but it may be there. Looking at videos, the culprit is usually a broken wire in the 2 wire plug to the solenoid.
it has a stepper motor not a solenoid. this probably explains the 6 pin connector, not a 2 pin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if somebody has details of the 6 wire stepper motor type connector pinouts i would be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did try and register on autozone but it wouldnt cooperate. probably because i am in the uk. i blame brexit. i am looking through the schematic now, but am yet to find the 6-pin egr version connector. did you find it?

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
What appears to be separate stepper coils there is more likely to be a resistor bridge to identify position more carefully. There is no need for 4 stepper motors in a device like that. One using duty cycle will work using one volt source and the other volt source goes to the bridge to be variably reduced to indicate egr position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What appears to be separate stepper coils there is more likely to be a resistor bridge to identify position more carefully. There is no need for 4 stepper motors in a device like that. One using duty cycle will work using one volt source and the other volt source goes to the bridge to be variably reduced to indicate egr position.
the p0403 fault code does mention 4 motor coils:

P0403 EEGR Electric Motor Windings Or Circuits To The PCM Shorted Or Open The EEGR system is continously monitored to check the 4 EEGR motor coils, circuits, and the PCM for opens, shorts to power and ground. If a malfunction is detected the EEGR system will be disabled and additional monitoring will be suspended for the remainder of the drive until the next drive cycle. EEGR motor windings open
Connector to EEGR not seated
Open circuit in harness from PCM to EEGR
Open circuit in PCM
Short circuit in EEGR motor
Short circuit in harness from PCM to EEGR
Short circuit in PCM

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
You DO realize that one single motor run through a resistor bridge can be essentially 4 different motors right?

If there were 4 separate physical motors there it would be beyond doubt the most stupidly created device on earth, but then I get surprised like that every day now it seems. The engineers of today..........massively bound to complicate the things that were 100% reliable for 75 years to then make them screw up every 5 minutes.........it's all about SELLING MORE PARTS.

So, from the piezo strain gauge (DPFE, and not that reliable either) to 4 complete motors...........things have only gotten worse at Ford..........and why I will never buy one again. I saw this ineptitude coming 20 years ago.

BTW..............the link there is invalid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts