Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Focus with auto trans that has an intermittent problem where the ignition key gets stuck in the ignition lock when in the "off" position. The problem sometimes happens when I turn the key to the off position after driving the car. When the key is in the off position, it will get stuck and it can't be removed. I've noticed when this happened that the transmission shifter was unlocked and it could be shifted into any position. I can usually get the key unstuck by turning the key to the on and off positions a few times and the key will release when in the off position. When the key does release, the shifter is locked in the park position.

I've tried the following so far:

Lubricated the ignition lock with different types of "lock" lubricants
Used different ignition keys
Tried pushing the shifter with some force to the park position
Tried pulling up on the collar rod below the shifter handle
Tried turning the ignition key with some force to the off position (sometimes works)

It seems that the ignition lock is not getting the "message" from the shifter that it's in the park position.

Would this problem be related to an ignition lock issue or a shifter assembly issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
not sure, but ignition issues were common on the mk1. might be worth preemptively replacing the ignition tumbler ($50) before it gets permanently stuck (and you have a much harder repair on your hands having to drill out the column)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to take a look at the shifter, so I removed the console and discovered someone had spilled some type of sticky liquid around the base of the shifter. There was evidence that the liquid spilled on the shifter wiring connector. Also, the shifter solenoid looked discolored.

Since individual parts are not available for the shifter assembly, I bought a used shifter assembly online. But, it had a bent shifter rod, so it would not work properly. I decided to take the two shifters apart and take the best parts to make one good shifter.

I installed the replacement shifter and it worked properly. I've tested the car for a few weeks and now the ignition key will always release from the ignition lock when the shifter is in park... So, the ignition key getting stuck in the ignition lock was the result of a faulty shifter solenoid or a faulty shifter wiring harness connector...

·
Registered
16,325 Posts
You can easily remove the solenoid or the arm it works to never have the issue again as well.

Reactions: nephron
1 - 4 of 4 Posts