Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how to title this thread, but I was trying to change my spark plugs and had removed the bolt from the coil-on-plug ignition coil. I gave it a bit of a pull and ended up looking at a bare coil!

Now I'm not the most technical person... but I'm fairly sure that's not supposed to happen. I put the coil back in into the housing (still attached to the plug!) and the engine runs as well as it ever has. What should I do now?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I would replace the coil (or COP as there called (Coil On Plug)). If moisture gets in there it will cause problems.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
It's called a coil. It is fairly expensive as well. I just checked on Rock Auto and their price for the Motorcraft COP coil is $63 + shipping is about $75. I'd expect about $100 from a dealer. There wasn't much of a discount for the Wells part, or other aftermarket parts- so call around before you purchase one. The dealer might not be that much higher than your local parts store. I'd always get the Motorcraft part over aftermarket with parts like this.

·
фанатик
5,056 Posts
Are you sure the actual coil came apart? Maybe just the boot pulled off. The 4in springy thing under the boot is the wire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I'm not sure that the coil itself came apart. I'm used to the old HT lead connections and seeing a spring (it looked like a spring, I assumed it was a coil) freaked me out a little. I looked on the internet for some images of what a spark change on a similar engine looks like but the closest I could find is a Ford Explorer which seems to directly attach to the sparks.

Does anybody have a video or set of pictures for me to compare against? It looks like I prematurely panicked, but I'd like to make sure I don't hit any more snags on what should be a really simple job!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts