Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get new struts for 2006 zx4 manual trans. The road conditions are not smooth in my location. would it be better to get the pre assembled or just get all the parts needed?
so which type would have the better ride along with durability

·
Registered
844 Posts
Pre assembled cheap struts are garbage. I put some on my dsughters 06 zx5 and they started clunking after a year. Even more disturbing was the passenger side strut had bent at the spindle. If i had it to do over i would buy the KYB strut, a motorcraft top mount and take the old struts with the new parts to Pep Boys and let them.swap everything over. The spring rates on the cheap struts is not the same as factory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pre assembled cheap struts are garbage. I put some on my dsughters 06 zx5 and they started clunking after a year. Even more disturbing was the passenger side strut had bent at the spindle. If i had it to do over i would buy the KYB strut, a motorcraft top mount and take the old struts with the new parts to Pep Boys and let them.swap everything over. The spring rates on the cheap struts is not the same as factory.
thanks for feedback. I think I will go elsewhere to buy the coil springs

·
Registered
786 Posts
Motorcraft makes quick struts most of the components are OEM at least that is what is advertised.
The spring definitely seems to match the car very well. But of course it's a motorcraft quick strut it should match.
They have a two year warranty I got mine through RockAuto I'm sure there's other sites you can get them. I suggest keeping the boxes in case there is an issue, so you can ship them back for warranty replacement.

Motorcraft Strut Assemblies feature OE components and are engineered to demanding Ford standards.

Features & Benefits:

OE dust boots help protect the strut rod and seal from dirt and debris

OE springs manufactured from high-quality steel are calibrated to restore correct vehicle ride height and are rigorously tested for fatigue resistance (up to 200,000 cycles) and corrosion (3,000 hours of salt spray)

OE struts with application-specific valving engineered to help restore vehicle’s original ride and handling

Tested for cylinder tube fatigue, valve durability and temperature

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m on my 5th set of KYB strut assemblies from RockAuto for two ‘07 ZX4s. The first three KYB struts lasted about 25-40k for about 2-3 years on mixed average roads. I think I could have kept driving on them a lot longer but replaced the KYB struts at the first signs of degradation (eg. a little skipping over small bumps coming to a stop sign near my house). I have gotten $60 rebates a couple of times from KYB when I purchased all four shocks/struts. I suspect the KYB springs are not as good as the OEM and wish I hadn’t thrown out the originals. I will pay a little more $ and try Motorcraft strut assemblies next time but I have heard that even the springs on these (unverified) are also not as good as original.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't reccomend any strut assembly except the ford racing svt . I buy the higher end KYB and reuse the stock springs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yep, mistake that I trashed the original springs. The KYB with the Excel-G all-in-one assemblies have been short-lived. Underwhelming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts