Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Skip this paragraph to get straight to the technical error) I just created my account because I'm seriously struggling with this issue. I'm 18 Y/O, and recently bought my first car, which was a 2006 ZX3 SES. It needed some love, it was very dirty on the inside, but was actually in pretty good condition, and I got it for 1200 USD which I thought was a good deal. The only major thing that needed to be fixed was the rear passenger wheel, which would wobble when driving. I've never done car repairs (although I'm very good with computer hardware) so I figured I'd give it a shot, not like I had much of a choice anyways because I'm young and pretty broke.

The previous owner said that they had a mechanic do a brake job, and that the rear passenger wheel had been "weird" ever since. So I take the Wheel off, the dustcap, and nut that's holding it on. Then I start prying the hub off. It's on there VERY tight, I mean it takes me and my father 15 minutes to get it off, using screw drives and crowbars.
Anyways, once it's off, I clean off the spindle, grab my new hub, and prepare to put it on. I'm thinking it should be easy, everybody on youtube did it in a couple minutes. I was wrong. The hub won't go on there no matter what, we can get it about a millimeter on so it kinda holds, but that's it. So I'm thinking that the old spindle must be shot, right?
I order a new spindle, and it arrived yesterday. Now I'm thinking that since I have a new hub and new spindle, they should just slide right on easily, but of course they don't. My dad says we should go to his mechanic to ask, and I was stumped at that point so we went.
The mechanic said that since both of my parts were aftermarket, they might not be working for that reason. He said we should go to the dealership and get a legit spindle or hub from them.
So we go to the ford dealership. Unfortunately the employees there are rude, but that didn't really bother me at that point. The guy at the counter had me put in my VIN number and search up the parts. Apparently there was an ABS spindle and a non ABS spindle, which I wasn't aware that there was a difference. Also, the dealership wanted 350$ for each part, which was obviously far out of my budget.
When I got home, I took a look at my car, started it up, and saw that there was an "ABS" light on. Am I right in assuming this means I have an ABS system?
My spindle looks the same as the existing one, but the hubs are slightly different. I'll upload pictures tomorrow when I have the chance, but the writing on the new one is "max dia 8.043" as opposed to the "max dia 204.3" on the old one.
There's also a round vertical metal sheet in between the bearing and the hub on the old one, but not on the new one.
At this point I'm wondering what to do. My car has been out of service for like 2 weeks at this point, I've done hours of research on this forum and other sites, and the car that I was proud of and excited about is now making me angry and depressed. Do I have to return my hub and order a different one? Sand the spindle down? Order an ABS ring for my existing hub. Someone help me, I'm frustrated :|
This is my first post, so I couldn't post links. Just remove the spaces from the links.
ht tps://www .ebay.com/itm/Brake-Drum-Rear-Autopart-Intl-1408-98064-fits-00-08-Ford-Focus/293146795240?epid=110189452&hash=item4440e91ce8:g:TlgAAOSw9-hcqElb
ht tps://shop .advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-oe-solutions-wheel-spindle-stub-shaft-905-300/10098410-p?product_channel=local&store=3628&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=3628&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmsrxBRDaARIsANyiD1qZIL2V5LGE0z-ELVRLbLk5mdBLiBfbnZjRMXmu3WHyiraPXLfVf5AaAjPOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Those are the 2 parts I bought. I also have 1.37$ of ethereum sitting in a wallet, if somebody wants it and can help me I'll give it to you :p I wrote all this while tired, so there might be mistakes or typos.

·
Registered
899 Posts
All right first step this is the rear of the car so, rear drum brakes you have a spindle and a drum with a bearing pressed into it.
Do not ever buy parts from a dealership if you need a Ford OEM part get them online.
One of the pictures shows a brake drum with a bearing in it from RockAuto. The other picture is from a OEM parts site showing the spindle yes you have ABS.

The first thing I would do is buy a drum with a bearing in it by itself not in a kit and give it a try. If it will not fit over the old or new spindle you're probably going to have to buy a new OEM spindle sorry they are expensive. Normally spindles get smaller not larger so this is quite odd..

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for you input zac. I ended up sanding down my new spindle for about 10 minutes, and now it fits in both the old and new bearing like it's supposed to. Now the issue I'm going to have is putting the new spindle on... The bolts on the back are very hard to reach, and they want to slip off. I'm about to go to the store and buy a 13mm socket (I've been using 1/2"), but I was wondering if I can't get them off because they're rusted on, could I just drill them off and replace them with new bolts. Does anybody know how to get these stupid bolts off?

·
Registered
104 Posts
For rusted bolts, spray some PB Blaster or Kroil on them and let soak for anywhere from a few minutes to few hours.

If that doesn’t work, you’ll likely have to heat them up with a torch. If heat doesn’t work, they’ll likely have to be cut/grinded out.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Absolutely use the 13 mm. It can also help to get a a joint a flexible universal joint. Or you can actually buy sockets that have a flexible joint on them. The secret is the tools.
And use some type of spray I personally like liquid wrench.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
The bolts are typically hard to get off because the sides are not clean and in the open to get a socket on without it tilting to strip corners off the bolt. Use a 6 point socket for one.

8 inch brake drum, the 8 number that is American SAE, the other measurement at 200+ is metric and the number of millimeters and 200 equals same thing as 8 inch. It's the max diameter you can cut the drum to.

Bearing was hard to get off because of damage slipping or rusted on, typically the replacement Chinese bearing will be too tight and you sand the spindle axle off to get bearing on or try American made bearing, you will have trouble finding it. If ABS you may have a sensor somewhere there that needs to be there to work ABS to turn the light out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Talk to Matt Rowe @ Speedway Recyclers on 920-755-2852 he specializes in Focus and he's got 5 acres of them. Tell him Frank sent you !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts