Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well..... I guess I spoke too soon.
Went to pass a truck the other day and dropped from 5th to 3rd and stood on it. Fell on its face like it was running out of fuel. Ran inconsistent for a little bit and P0191 code came up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you replace the fuel rail pressure sensor yet.. phone makes rereading the whole post hard and that is exactly what mine did until I replaced it. If it doesn't say Bosch you haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Did you replace the fuel rail pressure sensor yet.. phone makes rereading the whole post hard and that is exactly what mine did until I replaced it. If it doesn't say Bosch you haven't done it yet.
Yes, I replaced it with a Bosch back in May

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Any more suggestions?

I've replaced so far:
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Injectors
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Also checked the Fuel Pump Relay and Cleaned the MAF

I think I'll be checking out the EGR and the PCV next.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pressure test the fuel pump. If you can set up for live data instead of a dead head. That code was for low pressure so if the pressure sensor is new and it didn't fix it... when you demand fuel and you get a low reading code it sounds like you starving.. makes me think your pump is going on you.

·
Registered
16,057 Posts
The code is actually for erratic fuel sensor input, maybe a pump issue and maybe not. Could even be in the harness wiring.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Pressure test the fuel pump. If you can set up for live data instead of a dead head. That code was for low pressure so if the pressure sensor is new and it didn't fix it... when you demand fuel and you get a low reading code it sounds like you starving.. makes me think your pump is going on you.
The code is actually for erratic fuel sensor input, maybe a pump issue and maybe not. Could even be in the harness wiring.
I've suspected a weak/failing Fuel Pump all along. Car acts like its running out of fuel when this happens.
I said in earlier comments that the fuel pump and tank were replaced not long ago, but the mechanic didn't use a Motorcraft pump. Told me afterwards that he used the cheapest pump to save me money

·
Registered
16,057 Posts
You may need to look at the pump install if he used pump only and not a complete fitted pump module. I have found that some of the pumps do not come with the correct rubber bottoms the pump sits on and depending on which generic one is used various issues including fuel supply issues at the pump can show up. Or the pump can move out of place slowly to do the same. The top rubber mounts if needed can be wrong too.

Several pumps I've installed had to have one off custom rubbers made to fit them due to that issue. I had one that had no way for priming fuel to get into the pump, all the rubbers supplied had no curout for it and I had to make a hole so pump could prime and run. If loading your own pump you should always check that primer pathway to make sure it is fully open to the bleed hole (a pinhole, it is NOT the main feed hole!) in bottom of pump or the pump will not bleed air out the top (another bleed up there too) to prime easily.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
You may need to look at the pump install if he used pump only and not a complete fitted pump module. I have found that some of the pumps do not come with the correct rubber bottoms the pump sits on and depending on which generic one is used various issues including fuel supply issues at the pump can show up. Or the pump can move out of place slowly to do the same. The top rubber mounts if needed can be wrong too.

Several pumps I've installed had to have one off custom rubbers made to fit them due to that issue. I had one that had no way for priming fuel to get into the pump, all the rubbers supplied had no curout for it and I had to make a hole so pump could prime and run. If loading your own pump you should always check that primer pathway to make sure it is fully open to the bleed hole (a pinhole, it is NOT the main feed hole!) in bottom of pump or the pump will not bleed air out the top (another bleed up there too) to prime easily.
Thanks. I was just pricing pumps. The whole Motorcraft Module is $304 on Rockauto. Delphi Module is $132.
Lots of options for just pumps alone for less, but like you said, some of these may not be quite right.

·
Registered
16,057 Posts
I tend to at least slightly mod every pump alone I install to make it work better and stay in place better, there is no way the pump makers can supply all of the different rubber fittings the OEMS use there, there would be 25 rubbers in every pump box.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
It's been running fine all through the cool months. Now that it's warming up again, it's acting up. Going to order a fuel pump today

61 - 71 of 71 Posts