Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check fuel pump relay. Swap for hi beam and drive around for awhile. Had this problem about 2 months ago. Was driving me insaine till I found the solution

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
X2 and a good idea, the relay is cheap enough just to go ahead and buy one, spare for the future if it works out that way.

With relay out be sure and check the contact slots, sometimes they melt to not grab tight.

On the pumps, there is always some mechanism in the bottom of module to retain fluid dropout when the car turns hard to throw all fuel if low to one side of the tank. Often a one way check of some sort. Or the strainer screen value is chosen to not backflow easy to do the same. Normal running will have the module full of fuel even with a low tank level.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You can not put in 12 gallons while at 1/4 tank full.

The MOST I have ever put inside my 2004 PZEV steel fuel tank was 12.7 gallons. This was just after running the car with the FUEL LOW caution light ON for about 10 miles. This just happened last week.

I will guess that all 2004-2007 PZEV cars have the same fuel tank capacity. What is the total fuel capacity? -I'm not sure.
14gal tank in my 06.
I'm just telling you what happens with MY car. At "1/4 tank" on the gauge, it takes about 12 gallons. Obviously my gauge is a little off since it should only take 10.5 gallons to fill from 1/4 tank. It should have 3.5g in there at a true 1/4 tank

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, yesterday was the warmest day we've had so far this year. 90deg
Finally got a CEL and P0191 code when it did it this time.

I'm going to change out the fuel pump relay today and see what happens

·
Registered
97 Posts
Full pressure switch on the fuel rail did exactly as you describe..... does it die or become gutless.. mine was gutless on hills.

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
Pull the vacuum line to it, if fuel comes out then the pressure sensor is dead........the diaphragm has failed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
By your own words, the problem seems to show up more-so in warm weather right?

I had a similar problem and it was fixed by replacing the fuel injectors (FI's) with re-man'ed units. However, do not follow me unless you have a PZEV car that has the RED colored FI's. The PZEV red FI's have a unique 12-hole spray pattern, and these are more prone to engine stumble when (1) FI's are slightly clogged (2) when outside temps are warm/hot. My car engine was perfect in winter, and stumbled in warm-hot weather.

I tried a few types of fuel system/fuel injector cleaners. None helped. The new re-maned FI's fixed me after chasing the problem for 2 years.

No, your thread is located at the correct area of this Forum. General Tech Chat is the correct place for your thread.

Gd Luck

Example of red FI's is here:
https://www.ebay.com/i/232321560970?chn=ps
Marde, I found your old threads on this issue. Sounds like what I'm going through.

Going to pull the EGR and clean it or maybe replace it next. Probably needs it either way.

Sounds like I'm going to need fuel injectors if that's what fixed it.
Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Make sure you post back when you replace that fuel rail sensor. Everyone does it at about 100k. They literally last that long. Every focus I see over 100kMile has an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Make sure you post back when you replace that fuel rail sensor...
Wha? Who is it, who is planning to replace the FRPS?

Make sure you post back when you replace that fuel rail sensor. Everyone does it at about 100k. They literally last that long. Every focus I see over 100kMile has an aftermarket unit.
Not everyone. I have the original FRPS on my 2004 and I have 190K miles. Guess I am on borrowed time?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I own a 2.3 04 and 2.0 05. Not the same.
Wow, I did not expect that. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this info about the FRPS being different part numbers between those very similar engines.

Does the FRPS look different/size different/have something visually unique between the two? Do they have part numbers printed on either of them?

I will check mine tmr.

I guess these questions primarily apply to the OEM part; not talking about aftermarket stuff (if that is what you have).

Thank you for your time to look at both FRPS on your 04 & 05 cars.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
@RELLIKPIR
Nvm my questions just above. I just did a search for my FRPS and can assume and/or confirm that the 2004 2.3 FRPS part number does not carry over to the 2005 2.0. Like you said, a different part for the 2005. Pls note that I said "guess" in my post above.

Sad to hear that your experiences are that MOST/ALL 2005-2007 FRPS fails at around 100K miles. -major bummer for those car owners.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I'll change the FRPS this week and see what happens.

Car only has 88k miles on it, but after sitting for 5+ years things tend to go bad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
@RELLIKPIR
Nvm my questions just above. I just did a search for my FRPS and can assume and/or confirm that the 2004 2.3 FRPS part number does not carry over to the 2005 2.0. Like you said, a different part for the 2005. Pls note that I said "guess" in my post above.

Sad to hear that your experiences are that MOST/ALL 2005-2007 FRPS fails at around 100K miles. -major bummer for those car owners.
honestly besides that all my issues have been minor/normal wear and tear. from 101k to 158k. The only other mystery issue was alignment caster was off. Replaceing both control arms revealed the cause and fixed. One was OEM worn out other
decent Aftermarket. It is currently parked because I got a 5sp 2.3 and the flex came apart so you get bad exhaust smell when stopped. Maybe my fault to not being more careful when changing motor mounts. Got new vent door cable from junkyard for nothing. Still have to find and assess the fixability of the recirculate door but if you charge the system and don't expect ice cold air on high in 60 seconds in stop and go when the car is 140 and 110 outside it works well. If my driving it gets to literally freezing at the vent after 5 mins of driving on 2-3. even over 100 outside. Also good tint and parking in the shade. New car has great tint so I'm not sure if AC in 04 is better or just tint is huge difference. Also not sure if it has the high throttle shut off for the compressor.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts