Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new and I jus got a 2008 focus s and I wanna drop it I've been looking around and I hear a lot about the frpp kit but I can't find it for sale anywhere so I've been looking at some Megan coils but the only problem is that their off a 2006 so my question is that if the 06 springs will fit in my 08 or do I need 08 plus coils? Also wat r good shocks and struts to use wen u lower these cars?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Different size tops to the springs, so the earlier model spring top hat & bearing are required to use them.

Struts fit from '06-'11

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what r some decent struts and shocks to use if I drop it 1.5 inches? OEM prolly wouldn't last long on drop coils rite? Srry I'm new to this I'm used to lifting trucks and making them desert worthy haha

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
No to springs without the top hat & bearing for the '06 model.

Mount & bearing are usually replaced when doing struts/springs, so the only extra cost is the plate for the top of the spring that the '08 doesn't use (different bearing that includes spring mount).

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ yup, you need a bearing at the strut mount.

Springs turn with the struts as you steer, the mount stays fixed, so a bearing goes between to make turning smooth.

If there was no bearing, you'd be winding up the spring when steering. When a bearing goes bad, you hear a "sproing" as the spring twists then suddenly releases as it overcomes friction & turns at the top.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
General on springs/shocks.

They work best when matched, so the shock (strut) damps the movement of the suspension well.

A stiffer spring needs a shock that is also stiffer to keep 'bounce" to a minimum. Shocks don't resist compression much, it's typically 10% compression resistance & 90% extension resistance. When the spring is compressed it wants to bounce back, the shock when working well with the spring will stop that movement as it gets back to the original ride height.

Too soft a shock & you get a bouncing effect over bumps - boing boing boing or the pogo stick effect.

Too stiff and it'll actually pump the ride height lower over successive bumps by not letting the spring fully return to the original position each time it's compressed.

Only very high end performance shocks are adjustable on cars, for a better example of adjustability look at Motocross cycles that have to deal with large & repeated bumps.

Heavyfire14 - Your off road truck experience applies here, those long travel shocks need to absorb a LOT of force to keep the axles under control. MUCH better tech. than std. was used there before becoming more common on passenger cars.

BTW - even the stock Focus uses nitrogen charged shocks/struts, race tech. filtering down to passenger cars.

Matching lift/stiffness on a truck is no different than matching drop/stiffness on a car, you're just moving in the opposite direction. Shorter/stiffer vs. longer/stiffer for one example. Long travel on a truck might actually be almost as soft as stock, just longer in travel - still "matched" to the expected movement & forces.

As you prob. know from the trucks it can get more complicated than that, like with speed dependent valving. Details can go on forever for different setups, just wanted to describe the similarities a little.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Basically this:

If you have an 08-11 model Focus, you should shop for suspension parts that fit 06-07 models, which includes all mounting and installation hardware. There is little-to-no aftermarket support specifically for the 08-11 models, but since the Focus chassis went unchanged for so many years, most parts will be direct fit.

We say 06-07 parts are best because they will be a direct fit without any other modification or consideration necessary. 00-05 models use a few different fitments and sizes that do not translate to 06-11, though there are parts available that will convert an 06-11 model to use 00-05 suspension components.

The FRPP kit is mostly unavailable these days. RoushYatesParts.com will have the 06-07 shocks/struts HERE and you'll have to source 06-07 springs on your own, but that shouldn't be difficult. TireRack.com sells H&R springs HERE I recommend those struts because they are cheap and designed to be used with most lowering springs. (I have them with the matching Ford Racing springs and it's a great setup)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help and replays guys so with those h&r springs and any other 06 07 springs I just need the older 06 mount and bearings? Anyone have a link to those?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nope, won't work.

Mount & bearing you could find at most parts stores, but the plate that goes between spring & bearing for '06-'07 isn't usually replaced making it a Ford part - dealer or junkyard.

There are discount dealers on-line, including one that advertises here (look in the Vendors section). Ford parts.com will let you look at the parts breakdown, and that Dealer uses it for look up/ordering.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/RenderIllustration.ashx?id=299361102&f=3&n=8S4Z5310G

Look at this one for '08 to compare, it's mount/bearing/spring/strut.

The '08-'11 springs coil down to a smaller diameter at the top, and fit directly to a SMALLER bearing that includes the cradle for the spring.

A listing for springs to fit '06-'11 is incomplete as it doesn't mention what hdwe. they fit at the top. Could be made to fit '08-'11 hdwe., I don't know. Might only fit with the earlier hdwe. used, either way it needs to be specified as they AREN'T the same between all those years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't see ur links... Their just white :( but anyways as long as I replace the spring hat 06 springs will fit? Or do I need the older mount and bearing too

1 - 20 of 30 Posts