Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm about to pull a trigger on ordering the Retrofit Kit from TRS.

Jgrove did his project and he used the TSX projectors and D2S bulbs for his project. My choice from TRS is gonna be different. TSX projectors is fairly large. So I will not use the TSX projectors.

I have a concern with two of the projectors kit I would like to order. Mini H1 or D2S?

Those two comes in a different size and I'm not sure what are the current sizes that I have in my current projector. The projector headlights came from the same seller jgrove got his from, k2motors. Andrew from TRS seems like he would prefer me get Mini H1. I'm not sure why I feel I prefer D2S.

I'm not going to pull apart my headlights just yet until I get my kits first. I'm in DC and my OEM headlights are at home. My brother is coming in town next weekend so he will be bringing the OEM headlights and I will use that temporarily then I will take apart the projectors.

One little last thing, should I be adding Audi side LED style in my headlights? I do not plan on fixing the two LEDs that came with the each housing. I personally think that the CCFL halos are good enough. Just seeking your opinion. If you have this style for only on 05-07, post pix!

I'm excited and looking forward to some of you helping me out. I will post pictures of my current crappy lights output when I can.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
If u are going that far I would go for the tsx. Ur housing is big enough

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
621 Posts
Edit: awsome dude I love seeing retro's on the 05/07. Can't wait to do mine!
Also there are alot better projectors than the tsx for less money. The mini h1's are awsome for output and that's whats going in my oem headlights.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edit: awsome dude I love seeing retro's on the 05/07. Can't wait to do mine!
Also there are alot better projectors than the tsx for less money. The mini h1's are awsome for output and that's whats going in my oem headlights.
I can't wait too. After looking around for awhile, I decided to go out and take pictures. And I reviewed them, didn't realize it is THAT bad!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
ive been trying to do this retrofit for the past 2 years and have pretty much everything planned out. It would be nice to see if someone can do it before i do it and see what they come up with. I will be using the FX-R 1.1 projectors and they're a bit shallower. You might even be able to get away with using the current projector mounting brackets with these projectors where as with the TSX you will have to fab your own and get clear lenses for them. These already have clear lenses.

Might even be able to do something interesting and perhaps make the current halogen high beam into a DRL or something.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have pulled trigger, I ordered Mini H1 projector kit from TRS. I'm thrilled! It will arrive Tuesday or Wednesday depending how fast they'll ship out. Not sure when to start taking apart my headlights yet, probably middle of this week. If it is going to rain all week long, I will take it apart.

My brother will bring my OEM headlights this Saturday morning so I won't get to it until after Sunday because this weekend is my University's homecoming.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
I hve the second Gen and I went with MH1 projectors. They're small but the light output is fantastic. The d2s version is just housing a bigger capsule. The output is nearly the same. I'm on my phone but if you'd like pics you can find a thread in second Gen forums of my retrofit.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Technoholic >> I have an extra set of headlights I would like to retrofit. PLEASE document how you do this in detail. Critical measurements and how you mount the HID housing. Lookin forward to more.
Thanks

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
If you're using those aftermarket halo headlights for the 05-07 you could have used a lot more projectors.

FX35/G35/G37/FX-R or RX330 non-AFS would have been better than the Mini H1 or Mini
D2S.

But that said, it's about [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g time members are getting into retrofits. Good luck.

·
Registered
621 Posts
We need a lighting/ retro section like the civic forums. I hate to say (civic) lol but I think it would be awsome.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If you're using those aftermarket halo headlights for the 05-07 you could have used a lot more projectors.
Why? They don't have real projectors in them. Why would they be better?

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Why? They don't have real projectors in them. Why would they be better?
I meant he could have gone with OEM HID projectors instead of the Mini's. RX330 Non-AFS would have been the perfect projector because it's compact and very modifiable. It's output is comparable to S2K's after modding.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Ohhh! Gotcha! thanks. You guys are talking way above my head. I don't know specific types of HID. So expect more questions if you don't mind. Like this one >> Is there any appreciable unit cost difference? Do they all have the 'low/high' beam solonoid?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
They dont all have high/low beams in them. The Mini H1's hes getting is bi-xenon (high/low) though and still perform very well.

my personal favorite projectors are still the FX-R's as their output is AMAZING. Plus you can go d2s/6000k/50w which will be bright as hell. I know even with the anzo's i have with those crap projectors, the 55w 6000k kit i have installed (yes it stays out of peoples eyes but the output is awful) is brighter than any car with OEM HID's. Would be a little brighter if i went 4300k. I like the crystal white though.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
I still prefer OEM HID projectors over the replicas.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Kauai Guy >> your confusing me. There are no "OEM" hids for 05-07. Are you talking about a specific projector? Is so what are the called?
Thanks

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Kauai Guy >> your confusing me. There are no "OEM" hids for 05-07. Are you talking about a specific projector? Is so what are the called?
Thanks
I was referring to FecalRocket's post regarding FX-R's. I prefer OEM HID projectors over replicas and the Mini series.

The FX-R's and Mini's tend to have pencil-beaming and too much foreground lighting. Having too much foreground lighting is bad because your eyes will focus on what's in front of you rather than what's ahead. This is why when you look at cutoff pictures of OEM HID projectors you see most of the light concentrated at the cutoff.

There are many OEM HID projectors, most of them named after what they came in, such as S2K, TL, TSX, E55, FX35, 350Z, 370Z, LS430, RX300, RX350, etc.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i think they changed that on the FX-R 1.1 where the light is all the way through the beam pattern. The comparison picture of the FX-R 1.1 and TL projectors are nearly the same. I do see the type of pattern you're talking about in the Mini d2s's but not on the h1's.

btw Technoholic, you just missed out, big time :( http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/sho...oto-Mini-D2S-and-FX-R-Bi-xenon-closeout-deals! im buying the FX-R's today and piecing together the retrofit ill be doing soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts