Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Recently I had the thermostat replaced as It was stuck open and bleeding off my heat as I went down the road. To monitor my temp I'm using an ELM327 obd dongle with the TORQUE app. The thermostat I put in is an OE temp 208°F It shows going down the interstate that the coolant temp is steady between 221°F to 228.6°F but the guage on the dash is showing I'm fine (Dead Center). Stopped the torque app Is showing 206°F to 210°F (which drops to those Temps rapidly after exiting the interstate). I was wondering if this is actually displaying Cylinder head temperature (because the cooling fans don't kick on and it doesn't seem to be overheating.) If so I know its going to show slightly higher than actual coolant temp. If it is reading cylinder head temp; with my dash guage reading where it should be am I ok? or is the torque app truly reading the coolant temp? which would mean it is getting a little hot.

When the thermostat was bad it showed 140 on the interstate and 197 stop and go city driving (which would rapidly drop to 140 if I got on the interstate).
I'm unfamiliar with these cars but what I've found on similar forum posts it sounds like torque reading 220-222 is fine but those were on the Zetec motors, not the Duratec so I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I’ve got an ‘07 Duratec 2.0. Going from memory, my temps range from 180-190* when cruising at 60mph.

My car threw a CEL for a bad thermostat when they were running ~160*.

If it will help you, I’ll hook up my OBDII reader and take a drive to get you a precise reading rather than from a memory.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,770 Posts
From my understanding that dash gauge is a dummy gauge and doesn't show real temps. Once warmed up it stays in the center unless it's overheating. Perhaps I'm wrong but this is what I remember reading.
You should have the ability to see engine temp and cylinder head temp separately if you have an OBD II device.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weird. The only thermostat the parts stores had was a (OE recommended temp) 208°F thermostat. My particular car doesn't have a sensor on the coolant neck. And I'm using and ELM 327 with the torque app and don't see Cylinder Head Temp as an option which leads me to believe that it is registering Cylinder Head temp and calling it coolant temp. My guage doesn't go past the middle so I'm assuming it isn't overheating. One of the other forum posts about the zetec say torque registers Head Temp. I've driven it almost a week now on long highway runs and it gets up to 224.6 to 226 but then drops immediately when I get off the interstate. So it almost has to be Head Temp.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I'm using and ELM 327 with the torque app and don't see Cylinder Head Temp as an option which leads me to believe that it is registering Cylinder Head temp and calling it coolant temp.
If your Duratec has the CHTS between cylinders 2 and 3 it is the only temperature reading sensor on the engine. It signals the PCM which then controls the IC gauge, cooling fans, etc. Under various normal conditions the thermostat rating and the actual temp the sensor is seeing may be different. Actual temp is very dependent on ambient conditions, vehicle load, vehicle speed, etc. Also the parts store thermostat you bought may not be totally within spec. Lots of variables here. If you are not overheating and getting good heat from the dash vents (140-160F) then you are probably ok.

Paul

Reactions: Cobrajet67
1 - 5 of 5 Posts