Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 2006 focus zx4 started clunking noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd not so bad with the other gears, i changed the motor mounts last year any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
Check trans back lower one first, the crap aftermarket ones can easily go bad in a year, BTDT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check trans back lower one first, the crap aftermarket ones can easily go bad in a year, BTDT.
visual inspection they all look good, but i did put in those Chinese aftermarket crap, so i guess you get what you pay for

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
The damage on that particular one is often covered up until you remove it to see the center fully.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I agree with AMC49 here that alot of the aftermarket mounts are junk. My 2002 wagon had a very slight clunking like you describe and I replaced the rear/torque mount with a Motorcraft unit and have had no issues since. The one I took out was original with 133K miles and the rubber bushing was a bit cracked.

Paul

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
I have been convinced for a pretty long time that all of the Chinese mounts the aftermarket sells come from the same few factories, there are too many similarities between the different brands and they all use the same rock hard rubber compound that breaks way too quick and delaminates off the steel just as quick. OEM rubber is often any one of 50 formulas and tied to the car design protocols, you get no luxury like that at all with the aftermarket, sometimes they are bad in the box and seen it more than once.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've seen Anchor mounts fail within hours of being installed..... Regardless of the warranty, they're a rip off...

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
Yep and typical. If that then falls into your belt run just right it can make for a heck of a bad day. Looks almost like bottom rubber cone has collapsed too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts