Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some advice as my Zx4 is not running. It ran fine last night but when I got in it this morning and turned the key, it did turn over and almost caught but did not. After trying that a couple of times, I pumped the gas while starting it and it almost started but when I stopped pumping the gas, it died right away. I am wondering if it will need a new fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

To keep things consistent & understandable, "turn over" is usually used for "cranking" as in the starter turns the engine.

Pumping the gas doesn't add more as it did on old carburetors. It CAN shut it off, as it will when pedal is held to the floor to clear a "flooded" condition.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Check the fuel pump cut off switch located in the passenger side kick panel. If it's popped up push it back down and then, start the car.

Post results.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Mileage? You must be able to hear the fuel pump spin up for two seconds or so whenever the key is turned on. Even so, pump may spin up but still not make any pressure, ethanol if used in your local gas wrecks havoc with them longterm as they sit to corrode there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
130k miles on it and enthanol is big here in Iowa (and cheaper). Sounds like you think a new gas pump is in order?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it finally warmed up here in central Iowa yesterday so I popped the hood and opened the fuse box. The #12 fuel pump fuse looked fine. When I took out the fuel pump relay I noticed it looked identical to a couple of the other relays. I pulled the A/C relay and confimred the spade configuration and all the #s imprinted were exactly the same. I then swapped the two and the car started right up.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good Work, Tx for posting the outcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts