Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an interesting problem...

My heater fan is losing power. It doesn't matter the settings it is on. It will run for a greatly varied amount of time and then the fan will start slowing down like it is losing power. It eventually will sound like it has stopped. If I turn off the fan for a couple of minutes it will come back on again for just a little bit then die again. If as it is dying I turn up the speed it will increase in speed then slow down again. I was thinking that it might be the problem with the blower motor resistor but with it being across all channels I'm not so sure. I'm almost positive it's electrically related because when it first happened I did get a faint smell of electrical burning.

Anyone have any ideas if it would just be the resistor or do I need to be looking in another direction?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^ yup.

Starting to seize up, and the burning smell isn't good.

A couple drops of motor oil on the shaft might help, that usually saves one that's just a little noisy (squeal at low speed) but it might not be enough now. Get it out, spin it & see. If the oil & a few turns lets it spin easy again you saved buying a new one.

·
Ph00ked bey0nd belef
6,279 Posts
Ahahahahaha crankshaft oiling it again.... Nice call Roger....

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Oiled it a few years ago now Spazzie, squeaks are still gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the assistance guys. I pulled out the motor today and tried running it. When it first started up it was running fine then started acting up. At least with it out I could tell that it wasn't just gummed up and needing to be lubed. While it was running I could feel it pulsing when the motor would get power it needed to push the fan and then the fan would turn. Without the pulse the fan just sat there. I replaced the entire motor and its running like a champ!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts