Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Ford Focus manual transmission has a tapping noise while is in idle.

If I put it on any gear, the noise goes away.

All fluid levels are fine, no warning of any type on dashboard, car runs very smooth, no over heating or any noise while I’m driving it, good power even going up hill, shift gears smoothly.

Took it to what it seems very reliable shop, left the car for 2 hours and they couldn’t detected where is coming from but they think could be the trans. Any thoughts?

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You’re probably hearing the IMRC - Intake Manifold Runner Control.

Lots of info to read up on it along with Youtube videos to hear it and see how the sounds in the videos compare to what you’re hearing on your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Ford focus 2006 hatchback and every time I turn right I hear this strange clicking noise coming from the rear driver side(left) tire area. If I turn slow, it has a bigger pause between the clicks and speeds up as I speed Nox Vidmate VLC up. I do have a 20mm spacer there, not sure if that makes any difference.
I will take all the help I can get as I like to try and work on my car my self.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On a car this old, tapping at idle coming from engine compartment/valve cover is most often related to a worn lifter/valve or follower tappet on the the valvetrain. Some cars will tap at idle based on the type of oil/viscosity you have in it, and this noise goes away when you rev engine/oil pressure changes. Same goes for manual tranny gearboxes...they can get noisy and difficult if you don't change the gearbox oil If you think the noise emanates from the manual tranny gearbox/clutchplate spinning, it could be clutch wear related. On the SVT model Focus, a noisy clutch at idle (clutch engaged) is simply the price of admission, but it has a great stereo, so not an issue. Depressing the clutch pedal (clutch released; AKA putting it into gear) stops the clutch spinning noise, but mine is a design/known issue specific to the car model.

So, first thing you need to establish is where the noise is coming from, and as it goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, sounds like a gearbox/clutch noise. If it drives fine otherwise and no clutch slippage, then change your gearbox fluid, which is super easy if you are mechanically inclined. DIY would cost you maybe $20 or less for the correct oil, depending on where you buy it. Get it done at a local shop will likely cost you $60-100. Be sure to look up the fluid requirement as it will need a specific type and Ford usually specs synthetic fluid for its' gearboxes. Once you change it can take a little bit of use/driving before you hear the difference, but you can generally feel a difference in shift smoothness/quality and then the synchros get quieter and work better, and the ancillary noises fade away.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Ford focus 2006 hatchback and every time I turn right I hear this strange clicking noise coming from the rear driver side(left) tire area. If I turn slow, it has a bigger pause between the clicks and speeds up as I speed up. I do have a 20mm spacer there, not sure if that makes any difference.
I will take all the help I can get as I like to try and work on my car my self.
Pro Tip: Always create a new thread/Post for an unrelated issue to the one you are reading.

Hmmm, clicking noise when turning to one side is nearly always associated with worn CV joints on a drive axle usually related to a torn axle boot or simply age/wear (requiring drive axle replacement); sometimes it can be difficult to place exactly where the noise is coming from. On the rear of the vehicle, the main noisemaker is a bad wheel bearing, which will get progressively worse until you think there is a 'witch' chasing you down the road. The fact that you have a wheel spacer wouldn't impact anything unless the tire was already hitting something. On the front, a spacer might cause you to rub the fenders when turning, but the noise is not a 'clicking' sound, trust me on this, I had spacers too.

Best to do is get someone to ride with you and roll windows down, then make some turns or do it in an empty parking lot where you can change directions quickly/randomly and see what you hear. Oh yeah, turn off radio/ventilation system so you can hear better. :) Best to you and you may want to consider getting a Haynes manual, which will help with diagnostics and show you how to DIY fixing/maintaining your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts