Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid quest but, since it is a lot of work to convert from auto to manual transmission. I was thinking cant we just swap another auto trans that has an auto manual feature? Like the mazda 3 or maybe off the new ford foci's? Shouldn't it be a little easier to make it work since technically your staying auto? Just a thought for us auto people I dont know much about how swaps work or the electrical stuff.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
get ready to spend thousands going that route. you'd need to source a trans (probably at a dealer, since not many are in junkyards yet), make a custom ecu probably, and have hundreds of quirks to work through.

Matt

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it doesn't have to be the new powershift, just in general if us auto guys looking to swap to something more fun could any of the auto trannys that ford makes with an auto shift feature work or would it be easier to just convert to manual? I just ask because I want to switch over to manual but it seems like alot of work and money so I was wondering if maybe it'd be easier and more cost effective to swap in another auto trans that also has the auto shift next to drive.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
the problem with swapping to a transmission with powershift is the computer. Spend enough time on it and you might get it to work, but you'd better know what you're doing. Then don't forget the mounting position may be different, and the axles may be different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts