Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to install an exedy OE replacement clutch and flywheel kit purchased from fswerks. The problem I have is that my current flywheel is a dual mass flywheel, while the clutch kit is a solid flywheel and is much thinner than the OE flywheel. I purchased the flywheel bolts and the throwout bearing for the kit. The flywheel bolts are for a 2.3L engine and they are much shorter than the flywheel bolts that came out. I can't tell for sure if the throw length is different enough from the bearing in my current transmission versus the length of the new throwout bearing. I don't want to put it in and put it all back together just to find out the throw is wrong. So if anyone has installed this kit on a 2.0 L, could you tell me if this flywheel will work?

This is the kit that I purchased:
http://www.fswerks.com/collections/focus-2005-2007/products/exedy-oe-quality-clutch-kit-ford-focus-duratec-fs107

It states that it fits a 2.0L engine, but doesn't say anything about required hardware to make this work on a 2.0 Liter engine.

The part number for this kit is a FMK1009 and comes with flywheel FWFMF06 all stated as 2.3L specific applications on the exedy website. I should have cross referenced part numbers and raised this question when I received the parts, but I didn't and now I have a car in pieces. I have contacted fswerks, but I don't expect to hear back before Monday.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF

Moved this to a Duratec Performance section for your model.

Might get quicker answers in this section, or find info. of use.

I remember seeing notes on the shorter bolts needed for some replacement flywheels, don't THINK there are different slave cylinders/release bearing between 2.3 & 2.0. Got a 2.3 so I haven't checked close, only remember seeing one listed.

Cheers

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
The 23 bolts should work as they're shorter as Sailor mentioned. The throw bearing will interchange 20 or 23. Did you get a new throwout bearing? Hopefully you did. If you have a new bearing & 23 bolts it'll go together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did get a new throw out bearing and the 2.3 liter bolts so I guess I'm going to put it all back together tomorrow and see how it goes.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I did get a new throw out bearing and the 2.3 liter bolts so I guess I'm going to put it all back together tomorrow and see how it goes.
Sounds great. How many miles did you get out of the oem one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't complain at all with getting that many miles out of it. From what I've read and from others I've spoken with about clutch life, I expected to get no more than 135k out of it. I'm excited to see how the new lighter flywheel feels...maybe I'll finally get around to dropping in the cams I've been think about for the past four years.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I can't complain at all with getting that many miles out of it. From what I've read and from others I've spoken with about clutch life, I expected to get no more than 135k out of it. I'm excited to see how the new lighter flywheel feels...maybe I'll finally get around to dropping in the cams I've been think about for the past four years.
Four yrs to do cams? Thats when you don't think & just be a doer. Would you do a 23 head or just upgrade your 20?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea it's been four years considering to do it but I've been broke trying to pay for college as I'm attending. I'm leaning towards doing a 2.3 head swap, but I might just do a full engine swap next June when I graduate. I want this car to last me another eight years, but I'm at the point where I want to build something with more power as well. My wife is cool with the idea of me building an engine over the winter so a full swap is highly likely. [headbang]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Yea it's been four years considering to do it but I've been broke trying to pay for college as I'm attending. I'm leaning towards doing a 2.3 head swap, but I might just do a full engine swap next June when I graduate. I want this car to last me another eight years, but I'm at the point where I want to build something with more power as well. My wife is cool with the idea of me building an engine over the winter so a full swap is highly likely. [headbang]
Hey thats a cool wife you have, mys the same too= she'll ask what are you doing, but thats it & even pays the c/c bill too. Your best bet is just do a 23 swap. It'll get you more grunt then you could get w/ a 20. A mild build= a set of mild cams, header & do a bsd plug. BSD= balance shaft delete plug, remove the balance shafts & plug the oil feed hole for the bs's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Success! Everything bolted in perfectly and I'm back on the road. I really like how this clutch feels and also how much quicker the engine responds. Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Glad you got it all back together & going. Yea, it would respond better then a clutch w/ over a 150,000 on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts