Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Focus Z3, 2.0L. In the past 24 hours -- the check engine light came on, I figured it was time to change the factory battery after 4 years.
Went to W-Mart, the battery listed would not fit in the tray -- there is a boxed tab formed into the tray bottom that doesn't let the battery fit.
So, we reinstalled the factory battery and the check engine light is now off.
The W-Mart battery test said to replace the battery. My guess is that's the reason for the check engine light and that it will light up again, if I don't change the battery.
W-Mart did not list an air filter for a 2006 Focus 2.0L so I walked to P-Boys and their info said the car comes with a lifetime filter, and they did not list a replacement.
-- My open questions to fellow Fanatics: Is there an air filter to clean or replace?
-- If the check engine light does not come back on should I find a correctly sized battery and replace it after 4 years, or wait for it to die?
Hugo :)

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
P-Boys is right.

Modern batteries should last far longer than four years under normal driving conditions.

If the Check Engine Light comes on again, get the exact code read at an auto parts supplier, not W-mart, before replacing parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I replaced the battery, Motorcraft, Ford dealer, $119 out of the door. CE light is off now but I anticipate it lighting up, again. Now the car is stalling on deceleration, almost every time. Maybe the PCV valve should be next?
-Hugo

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
What BC_ZX3 said. You need to get the codes off your ECU (have the ford dealer get them or Pep boys if there close). The codes will tell you what the issue is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CE light is on. The troubleshooting code is PO171 -- OBDcodes.com says this is almost always caused by a dirty mass air flow sensor. So, I guess I'll be locating, removing and cleaning it tomorrow. -Hugo

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Some more detailed code info and possible causes for you (from FF):

P0171 - System too Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. For lean and rich DTCs:
Fuel system
Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
Vapor recovery system.
Induction system:
Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum Leaks.
PCV system.
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
EGR system:
Leaking gasket.
Stuck EGR valve.
Leaking diaphragm or EVR.
Base Engine:
Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.
A SHRTFT-1,2 PID value between -25% to +35% and a LONGFT-1,2 PID value between -35% to +35% is acceptable. Reading beyond these values indicate a failure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am going to buy a new MAFS, thank you very much. :)
Here is another question I can't answer. Does my car have an air filter?
P-Boys said they don't list one, that the car (2006, 2.0L, ZX3, auto) does not have a replaceable intake air filter. It's got to be sucking from some where, and the air/roads here at times can be pretty dirty. If the car does not have an air filter what can I do to clean the intake? The car has 105,000 miles and has never had the air intake cleaned, but I have replaced the fuel filter.
I thought about the dipstick not being in right -- so far as I can tell it is. And where on the stick indicates too much oil?
-Hugo

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
the maf is easy to change. they are fairly cheap
Not sure about the 2006, but earlier models use a anti-tamper Torx screw to hold the MAF sensor in place. It's easy to change providing you have the right tool.

I am going to buy a new MAFS, thank you very much. :)
Your OBD codes web site reference recommends cleaning it, not replacing it. It also lists PCV hose leaks and vacuum leaks as possible causes. It costs nothing to inspect for vacuum leaks and to examine your PCV hose to eliminate them as potential problem areas first.

Here is another question I can't answer. Does my car have an air filter?
Yes. It's a Ford "lifetime" air filter as was fitted to certain PZEV cars to meet strict emission regs. It's in the driver's side fender area. Trace your intake hose from the intake manifold out. The local auto parts places don't stock them because they are expensive and replaced infrequently.

P-Boys said they don't list one, that the car (2006, 2.0L, ZX3, auto) does not have a replaceable intake air filter. It's got to be sucking from some where, and the air/roads here at times can be pretty dirty. If the car does not have an air filter what can I do to clean the intake? The car has 105,000 miles and has never had the air intake cleaned, but I have replaced the fuel filter.
The filter is available exclusively from the Ford dealer, I believe. Bring a large suitcase full of cash. I hear they are about $300 to replace since they are sealed units and difficult to get at/service. There may be a dial or pop up button on the filter casing to indicate if it really needs replacement. Not positive about that though.

I thought about the dipstick not being in right -- so far as I can tell it is. And where on the stick indicates too much oil?
-Hugo
The oil level should be between the two hash marks on the dipstick or there should be a "max" and "min" marked on the dipstick to indicate the two permissible extremes. Refer to the owner's manual for your year. If it's above the upper indicator, it's been over filled.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
ok, a little on the air filter.
It is a lifetime filter and if you look at the silencer (stupid looking box just before the throttle body) there is a guage on the side, with the car running look and see if its still in the green, if not it will need to be replaced (at 100k it probably needs it anyways).
the actual filter is located in the front drivers side corner of the bumper under the headlight and bolted between the frame and bumper. it then has a tube which runs behind the fender above the wheel well liner to just before the door area.
in the pic you can see the tube on the top of the filter, it has a yellow wire across it holding the bumper up...lol
steeda, fswerks, f2, all make cold air intakes for the car with a cleanable cone filter. It actually is cheaper by a bit to replace the stock with one of the above mentioned.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
yeah, but the deer damage wasnt...lol
only one i could think of that the filter would be somewhat visible.
by the way, the filters a pita to get out. even with the fender off they had to pull the bumper loose to wiggle it out. another brilliant ford idea...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Way cool photo, I really hope that the intake air flow is not the problem.
I gave the car to me mechanic, hopefully he won't jack me around. He doesn't think it's an air intake problem 'cause the P0171 code indicates too lean already, less air means the opposite, right? Mechanic said he's going to look for vacuum leaks (which I did for quite a while yesterday) before dealing with the MAFS.
The oil level is at the top hole, above the hash marks, so I should be OK there. I'll change it, again, after I get the car back.
I have to watch out for them deer, too, 'cause I drive some tiny Texas roads, early in the morning, when it's really dark! So far, so good ...
-Hugo :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mechanic said the PCV boot is the problem leak. Dealer-only part, but he has to pull the intake manifold to fix it, which he said for sure it will.
-Hugo

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
I have to watch out for them deer, too, 'cause I drive some tiny Texas roads, early in the morning, when it's really dark! So far, so good ...
-Hugo :)
I used to live in austin in the early 80's. Texas deer aren't that big...lol
This is my size 10 shoe next to the buck that hit me and a pic of the damage caused. cars all better now, I get her back tomorrow [woot]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts