Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a very nice 2005 ZXW wagon last summer. So far very happy with it. I'd like to use the car for camping, and to modify it a little to be able to sleep in it. I'm a little too tall to fit in the back with the rear seat folded down. So what I'm thinking of trying is to remove the front passenger seat back and put some kind of platform in long enough for me. I looked into completely removing the front passenger seat and that seems fairly easy to do. But how about leaving the bottom of the seat in and just removing the seat back? Is this possible? Any hints?
Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
412 Posts
What about just pushing the seat back forward and sleeping with you feet elevated a little? I’m not sure if they go farther forward that straight up but it’s an idea to check. Pulling the seat would probably be easier than pulling just the back...

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
^^That.

Sounds like a lot of work to pull half the front seat. Do you have any specific reason for keeping the bottom of the seat in place?

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
And I haven't removed a seat back myself but I'd assume all you have to do is pull the plastic trim pieces by the hinges and go from there.

·
Registered
16,222 Posts
It can be done but you may get flak from the inspection guys if they think you may try to let other persons ride in that position, it no longer being safe. Likely better to remove the entire seat and seat belt with it.

The backs do come off, on one side down low there is a plate that removes to free the pivot point. And just wait until you find out that only ONE side of the seat takes all load there, and why they break so easy. The other side supports no weight at all.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Really best to remove it when you need to vs trying to assemble it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input every one. Sounds like I'd probably be best off taking out the whole seat, which I think is just 4 bolts. I thought of only removing the seat back because then I'd have a support for the "platform" I want to put in there, but that could be easily be done another way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fellow "Camper" here

At 6'4 I found what worked for me was removing the rear seat pan. With that out of the way I could stow gear in the footwells up to the height of the floor and with the front seats slid forward it added a couple more feet of floor space. I'm assuming you know stock the pan folds up and the seatback folds flat.

There are two metal tabs with torx bolts in the top of the footwell and 3 plastic clips in the seat bottom. Just undo the bolts and rock the pan forward a little and it's out. If you keep the socket handy (I believe it's a 40 or 45 torx) it's a one minute removal/reinstall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chralk,
I know it's been awhile, but I wanted to get back to you for posting this most helpful reply. I realized that no matter what, I'd have to remove the back seat bench. I did so, and just used a piece of plywood at the end of the platform (i.e., behind the front passenger seat), scooted the front seat forward, put my camping pads down and slept wonderfully )I'm 6'2"). Worked out great on my 6000 mile summer trip. Saved so much money by avoiding motels (which used to be pretty cheap...guess those days are gone). Considering that in my previous cars, I just tried to get comfortable enough to sleep while stretching out in the driver's seat, this was a major improvement!
Thanks.
Larry
PS I would have posted this reply earlier, but I had all kinds of problems signing into the site.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts