Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving yesterday, and all of the sudden it seemed like I had to shift really far into a gear before it would engage. Then all the sudden, it would not engage at all. If I tried to shift to first, it was just not there. I checked all the other gears, and it was like they were gone too. It happened while I was moving, so I was able to coast into a parking lot. I moved the shifter around, and it did have resistance enough to put shifter back in the center, but it would move freely from where 3rd and 4th gear used to be. The clutch pressure seems fine. Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I got it towed home, and get to start diagnosing it tonight.....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Need to check shift linkages and cable support.

Their are two of each.
The supports hold the cables in place and the linkages connect shift cables to transmission.
The supports hold a plastic peice that twist, make sure their in place.
The linkages are plastic and can break, mine did so after battery acid ate them.

Pic below shows one of the platic pieces for support.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks for the information Humphrey. I will start there. I did find an orange C shaped clip when I did some looking under the hood right after it happened. It was just sitting on a piece of hose around. Maybe it was part of the linkage....

·
Registered
753 Posts
@android77 - any updates on this?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
IMHO you nailed it from the description Humphrey, loose plastic piece under the hood confirmed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I meant to update this.

I checked the shift linkages and cable supports, and they seemed to be fine.

I did a little further investigation on the site, and wondered if it might be the roll pin in the shift tower. The more I read, the more it seemed like this was my issue. I pulled the shift tower, and indeed my roll pin was in three pieces.... I put a bolt in its place, and I am able to shift again.

I followed this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304574

Now my only issue is my cars shifter is really stiff. it goes into gear fine now, but getting it to the gear is real tuff. Any suggestions on what might fix this?

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My shifting was really stiff before my shift ping broke, and it is pretty much the same since it has been replaced. My wife drives the car sometimes, and she always complains about the shifter being really hard to move around. Would that be the shift cables or something else?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Disassemble your shifting linkages. Remove your center console to expose the tower, disconnect your cables. Move the shifter around, if it moves freely then move on after you've reconnected your tower. Disconnect the shift linkages at the transmission, get in car and move the shifter, if moving freely then move on after you've reconnected.
If you've not found your problem yet its going to be on/in the transmission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts