Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 focus zx4 69747 miles the car starts hard when you do get it started it runs perfect for 5 or 6 miles or until you push the gas pedAl in to far or get on a steep hill. Then it seems as the car is out of gas. Spotters and shutters and if you push the gas pedal in it will die the but if you don't it will run a couple more minutes and die. Sometimes the car will start right back up sometimes you have to crank it for a few minutes to get it started I've replaced the fuel pump, the fuel filter, the fuel pressure sensor and the MAF sensor. Nothing is seeming to help. Used an OHM meter and checked the ignition coils and fuel injectors they tested good.stuck now don't know what to do

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Have you scanned the car (OBD) for codes?

Have you inspected the spark plug tips for abnormal residue? Plugs type? Plugs gap proper? Plugs age?

You might consider paying a pro shop to do a (1-hour or less) diagnosis. Some shops make this cheap or even free, with hopes to make bigger money when you pay them to fix it. I have seen pro shops offer "specials" or coupons for Diag time.

Ohms test of injectors & coils is very non-conclusive, a poor test. Ohms test will not tell you if those items are properly working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pcv valve/hose....thats what corrected my car doing the same thing....also check to see if oil is on top of your spark plugs...if so after u change the valve and hose you'll have to replace the valve cover gasket...thats what fixed mine...

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
563 Posts
Exactly my recommendation: scan for codes. It's never a good idea to throw parts at a problem that you don't even understand the essential nature of. You've replaced both fuel and air parts some of which were not cheap. A simple drive to the auto parts store and a free scan from them would have helped reveal the source of the problem. Even buying a scanner for yourself would have paid for itself multiple times over in wasted parts expenditures thus far.
It could be your pedal assembly, TB(throttle body), FPR(fuel pressure regulator), bad injector, clogged cat, squirrel nest in the airbox, etc. It really is anyone's guess until you retrieve the codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts