Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thank you for any help that you may be able to provide. I have this 05 ST 2.3L manual trans that I just swapped an engine into. I bought it with the motor swap in progress so i've never heard it run. When I tried to start it all the lights come on on the instrument cluster but it won't crank and it displays ---- for the mileage and it won't connect to a scan tool. Some googling lead me to believe that it's a grounding issue. At the negative terminal there is a little wire that is supposed to supply the pcm or the fusebox i'm not sure exactly where it goes but when i measure between that ring terminal and any other point on the car or negative terminal I have about 400 ohms resistance, all of the other grounds have 0 between them. I was hoping that someone here has chased that wire through the harness before me and could point out where to check the other end of it to see why I have this resistance.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hello everyone and thank you for any help that you may be able to provide. I have this 05 ST 2.3L manual trans that I just swapped an engine into. I bought it with the motor swap in progress so i've never heard it run. When I tried to start it all the lights come on on the instrument cluster but it won't crank and it displays ---- for the mileage and it won't connect to a scan tool. Some googling lead me to believe that it's a grounding issue. At the negative terminal there is a little wire that is supposed to supply the pcm or the fusebox i'm not sure exactly where it goes but when i measure between that ring terminal and any other point on the car or negative terminal I have about 400 ohms resistance, all of the other grounds have 0 between them. I was hoping that someone here has chased that wire through the harness before me and could point out where to check the other end of it to see why I have this resistance.
In addition to the two wires that are part of the negative battery terminal you should have TWO small(er) wires attached at the stud on the negative battery terminal (see pic below). One is part of the 14K733 harness and provides grounds to many components including relays in the BJB. The other is part of the 12A522 harness and provides a ground at the PCM.

Paul

Attachments

·
FF Affiliate
30,665 Posts
In the fuse box under the hood you also have a PCM diod , kinda looks like a black fuse , there is 2 of them , swap them and see if the - - - - - goes away

Ground on the Batt is the cause in most cases

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts