Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have a 2005 focus zx4 automatic with a 2.0 im have problems with my idle its low under 750 so i checked the throttle cable under hood and found that there are two cables one goes to the gas pedal and the other one that is broken goes to a small box on drivers side does anyone know what this cable is and its function im assuming thats why my idles low

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Not the cause. Cruise control I'm assuming is the second cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i never tried cruise control do you know how to adjust the idle i see the idle screw there but on the top of the screw head theres some kind of glue i just want to set it at 1000

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
You can't set the idle, the IAC will only detune your new setting out by dropping itself back down. Once you try to force the idle setting higher, the idle will then begin to hang much higher or like 2000-3000 rpm. Don't think you wanna go that high.

There is a fine idle setting done at the factory, once done it is never to be touched and a big mistake doing so.

Read the owners' manual and the sticker under the hood, the idle is NOT settable. The glue is there for a reason.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Does the car idle up high when cold then drop down?

That would show the IAC is working to control idle speed.

If it doesn't, IAC is def. a problem.

Otherwise low idle (BTW - is it always or just in gear) can be caused by a long list of engine operation problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts