Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First post here on the forum. Recently acquired a 2005 Focus that I use to run around in when I don't need my one ton diesel. It has about 194,000 miles on it. Pretty much have it up to par(with much help from this site) but the last issue I am experiencing I am not having any luck with finding any info on. Had a situation today when accelerating to get onto the interstate, where the traction control light was flashing and the engine was cutting out. Perfectly dry roads. Shortly after it was back to normal. I have put about 1000 miles on this car and its the first time it has happened. Previous owner told me about this, and said it has been doing this for about 9 months. Might happen maybe every couple weeks and always under acceleration around the same speed, maybe around 40 miles per hour. So I pulled the code tonight and it was C1093 which my scanner said Traction Control Disable Switch Circuit Failure. Any ideas of where to start to try to fix this? Switch? Wiring?

Thank You

·
Grey Friar
846 Posts
I had traction control on my SVT that was default "on", and switched "off". [Unfortunately, "off" didn't completely disable it, just limited it's function.]

I don't remember for sure, but I believe engaging the switch opened a relay that cut a circuit feed between the anti-lock brake module and the ECU. I would check the relay and the switch first. If both are okay, look for a wire break from the switch to the relay.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Im not an expert on these systems but according to the schematic the TC disable switch signals the ABS/TC module by providing a momentary ground to the ABS module at pin 38. The switch is a simple momentary NO SPST connected on one side to the ABS module at pin 38 and on the other side to chassis ground. Holding the switch closed (for at least one second) connects pin 38 to ground signaling the TC system to change state - if ON to OFF, if OFF to ON (system is set ON when ignition switch is turned ON). Perhaps the switch or wiring is constantly shorted to ground or voltage.

The ABS/TC system is powered thru three fuses:
BJB fuse 11 (30A)
BJB fuse 21 (20A)
CJB fuse 46 (7.5A)

The ABS/TC systems communicates with the PCM via the CAN bus allowing the PCM to control engine torque under various braking and./or traction situations.

Owners manual (pg 109) has a description of the system/switch/light operation.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/05focog1e.pdf

Good luck
Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts