Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2005 ZX4 Automatic - Electrical Issue??

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  FocusKnot 
#1 ·
So, I have a 2005 ZX4 Automatic Transmission.

One day it wouldn't start. We replaced the battery as it was depleated. With the new battery in it still wouldn't start. We jumped it and it started but; power windows, shift stick, break lights and a/c fan wouldn't work/turn on. We figured out it wasn't turning on because of the alternator as we tested it. Swapped the alternator. Car starts right up. BUT still:

1. Shift stick will not come out of park (unless you use the manual unlock)
2. Power windows will not work on all four windows
3. All lights come on powerfully (head lights, turn signals, back up lights) however, when you hit the breaks the actual break lights will not come on.
4. A/C compressor will turn on, but not the fan.

We verified and tested all pertinent fuselage and they are all in good condition.

Any ideas?

#4 ·
Fuse is not it... just checked... will check Ignition Relay. However, there is a 30A fuse #8 which as per the owner's manual is the ignition relay switch. I checked it and it was fine. But there is an Ignition SWITCH, I believe it's R1. But my car doesn't have it. It's completely missing. Which makes me wonder because before all of this started all that is not working now, was working then.

So do I just get the R1 Switch??

#10 ·
If you don't have a meter, buy one or borrow one. Look for one with lots of functions, eventually you'll use them all.

When you check the fuse terminals for voltage, don't put both probes across them. Instead, put your black (ground) probe on a good frame ground and then check both fuse terminals with your red (hot) probe. One of them should have the juice in it. If you put the probes across the two terminals like intuition tells you to, the voltage might be there but you won't see it. The circuit could be broken somewhere in the car's wiring, and since there's no path to ground, your meter won't show you the voltage.

Toby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.